Kedington, Essex Genealogy and Suffolk
|Kedington, Essex and Suffolk|
|Poor Law Union||Risbridge|
|Parish registers: 1654|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1564|
|Diocese||Pre-1837 - Norwich; Post-1836 - Ely|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Kedington, or Ketton, is a village and a parish in Risbridge district; the village and most of the parish is in Suffolk, but part of it is in Essex. The village stands on the river Stour, 2 1/2 miles ENE of Haverhill railway station. The parish contains also Brockley Green, Great Wilseys, and the Risbridge workhouse.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Kedington is an Ancient Parish in the counties of Suffolk and Essex.
- Parish Registers begin in 1654
- Bishop Transcripts begin in 1564
Kedington, Essex Genealogy and Suffolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|1813 = Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) (findmypast) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|Kedington, Essex Genealogy and Suffolk Online Parish Records|
Additional places included in this parish are Great Wilsey and Brockley Green.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Kedington in Suffolk on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 640-643. Date accessed: 16 May 2014.
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870). Adapted: date accessed 20 May 2013.
- 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Suffolk Baptism Index 1538-1911', Find My Past, accessed 5 January 2016.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.