Kalamazoo Valley Genealogical Society
The Kalamazoo Valley Genealogical Society (KVGS) was organized in 1958. Over the years, KVGS has taught genealogy classes, created an index to the US Census of Kalamazoo County, transcribed death indexes and other archival material, and continues to volunteer at the Kalamazoo Clerk’s office. Each year, trips to the Allen County Public Library and Washington DC are offered.
|Kalamazoo Valley Genealogical Society|
|Address||PO Box 3236, Kalamazoo, MI 49003-8335|
|Last updated: Sep 29, 2020|
Kalamazoo Valley Genealogical Society Mission Statement
- Fosters genealogical interest and activities in southwestern Michigan;
- Provides education in genealogical research techniques;
- Publishes and make available genealogical materials; and
- Works to ensure access to and the preservation of public records.
Benefits[edit | edit source]
- Attend monthly skills sessions and general meetings to learn new and innovative ways to continue your genealogical research and improve your skills. Meetings are the 3rd Monday of every month from September to June, with the exception of December.
- Spend time with other genealogists to share ideas, learn new technology skills and create a community for the preservation of your genealogy and the history of Kalamazoo Valley.
- Gain access to The Heritage newsletter, published monthly from September to June, to learn new skills, receive updates on upcoming meetings/educational programs, hear about the webinars at the Zhang Legacy Collections Center at WMU, and locate other genealogical events in the area.
- Access to our website for local Kalamazoo research, upcoming events, and over 44,200 historical records in the KVGS databases. Member-only access includes back issues of the newsletter and more.
History of the society[edit | edit source]
The Kalamazoo Valley Genealogical Society was organized in 1958. Over the years, KVGS has taught genealogy classes, created an index to the US Census of Kalamazoo County, transcribed death indexes and other archival material, and continues to volunteer at the Kalamazoo Clerk’s office. Each year, trips to the Allen County Public Library and Washington DC are offered.
Meetings[edit | edit source]
KVGS meetings are the 3rd Monday of each month from September through June, with the exception of December. KVGS meetings take place at the Portage District Library, 300 Library Lane, Portage, MI 49002 in the Austin & Sugarloaf Lakes Meeting Rooms.
KVGS meetings are a combination of Skills Session, General Meetings and an Educational Program.
6:15 pm Skills Session
6:45 pm Refreshments
7:00 pm General Meeting
7:15 pm Educational Program
KVGS Board Meetings are held the first Wednesday of the month at Portage District Library at 6:30 pm. Members are welcome to attend Board Meetings.
Membership[edit | edit source]
Membership to Kalamazoo Valley Genealogical Society (KVGS) is open to anyone interested in genealogy and the mission of KVGS. The membership year is July 1 through June 30.
$10.00 Fee For Printed Newsletter
Click here for the Membership Brochure
Social Media[edit | edit source]
Nearby or Alternate Repositories[edit | edit source]