Difference between revisions of "Jewish Periodicals"
|Line 55:||Line 55:|
Revision as of 02:59, 23 December 2011
Jewish Genealogy Periodicals
Most genealogical and historical societies throughout the world publish magazines and newsletters. The articles often include:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees.
- Transcripts of emigration sources, vital records, census returns, and cemetery records.
- Helpful articles on research methodology.
- Information about local records, archives, and services.
- Book advertisements and book reviews.
- Research advertisements.
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers.
Genealogical Magazines of General Interest
Some general periodicals contain basic how-to instructions, advertisements, book notices, and queries. These seldom include record transcripts or compiled genealogies. Examples include:
- Everton's Genealogical Helper. Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1947–. (FHL book 929.05 G286). WorldCat entry. For further information see the website at http://www.everton.com (accessed 21 February 2009).
- Heritage Quest: The Genealogy Forum. 1985–2006. [Published by Heritage Quest, P.O. Box 329, Bountiful, Utah 84011-0329. Telephone: 801-298-5358. Fax: 801-298- 5468.] (FHL book 973 D25hq). WorldCat entry. Now dormant publication.
Genealogical and Historical Journals
Genealogical periodicals or newsletters usually provide more in-depth instruction, book reviews, record transcripts, case studies, and compiled genealogies. Historical periodicals usually include articles of a historical nature, including Jewish history. These periodicals are usually published quarterly by genealogical or historical societies and may focus on a region, state, county, or time period. Examples include:
- Newsletter of the Federation of Eastern European Family History Societies (FEEFHS). (FHL book 940 C4f). WorldCat entry.
- The New Zealand Genealogist. Auckland, New Zealand: The New Zealand Society of Genealogists Inc. (FHL book 993.1 B2na). WorldCat entry. This journal contains articles on research methodology in New Zealand and 50 the British Isles, articles of genealogical interest, book reviews, queries, and other items of interest. There is a general yearly index published that includes an index to member queries.
In addition to genealogical and historical periodicals, several Jewish genealogical periodicals are published quarterly and focus on tracing Jewish ancestors. These periodicals usually provide more in-depth instruction, book reviews, record transcripts, and queries pertaining only to Jews. Examples include:
- Avotaynu: The International Review of Jewish Genealogy. Published by Avotaynu, Inc., P.O. Box 99, Bergenfield, New Jersey 07621–1742. (FHL book 296.05 Av79) WorldCat entry.
- Bulletin, Cercle de Généalogie Juive (Bulletin, Association of Jewish Genealogy). Paris: Le Cercle, 1985–. (FHL book 944 D25b). WorldCat entry.
- Misjpoge: verenigingsblad van de Nederlandse Kring voor Joodse Genealogie (Misjpoge: Periodical of the Netherlands Circle for Jewish Genealogy). Baarn: De Vereniging, 1988–. (FHL book 949.2 D25mi). WorldCat entry.
Most Jewish genealogical societies throughout the world publish genealogical periodicals or newsletters. A list of Jewish genealogical societies with names and addresses of contact people and either e-mail or web site addresses can be found at:
Most magazines have annual or cumulative indexes. Two major composite indexes that include Jewish periodicals are:
- PERiodical Source Index. Fort Wayne, Ind.: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1988– 1998. (FHL book 973 D25per; fiche 6,016,863 (1847–1985), 6,016,864 (1986–1990); compact disk no. 61; on the Internet at http://www.heritagequestonline.com/). WorldCat entry. Indexes the titles of articles in over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals and has many references to articles about Jews. Microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the Periodical Source Index (PERSI) Wiki page.
- Genealogical Periodical Annual Index. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1962–. (FHL book REF 973 B22gp). WorldCat entry. An annual index, starting in 1962, of 150 to 260 currently published periodicals.
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. Jewish archives will have copies of many Jewish periodicals.
The Family History Library subscribes to numerous periodicals, including several Jewish genealogical and historical periodicals. Check for these periodicals in the Family History Library Catalog Title Search.
If there is a Wiki page for the nation or state your ancestor lived, see the “Periodicals” section of that set of pages. Also see “Societies” in this Wiki article.