Jessamine County, Kentucky Genealogy
|Jessamine County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 19, 1798|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American Research
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 4.18 Societies and Libraries
- 4.19 Web Sites
- 5 References
|Camp Nelson||High Bridge||Nicholasville||Sulphur Well Park (hist.)|
|Chattersville (hist.)||Jessamine||Oak Hill (hist.)||Sweet Home (hist.)|
|Crisman Mill (hist.)||Keene||Oakdale (hist.)||Union Mills|
|Dixon Town||Lexington Park (hist.)||Pekin (hist.)||Vineyard|
|Edgewood (hist.)||Little Hickman||Pink||Watts Store|
|Hanly||Mount Lebanon||Red Oak (hist.)||Wilmore Park (hist.)|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Jessamine Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Local volunteers may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Jessamine County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Jessamine County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Jessamine County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For additional information about Jessamine County cemeteries, visit Jessamine County, Kentucky Cemeteries.
For tips on accessing Jessamine County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Akers] Phillips, June Vore. Akers, Sumner, and Related Families. Evansville, Ind.: Unigraphic, Inc., 1978. FHL Film 1481074 Item 1
- [Alexander] Curtis, Oscar F. Alexander--Brewster--Irwin--Dunn. Typescript. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1638364 Item 1
- [Brawner] Kurtz, Thelma E. Brawner Genealogy, ca. 1760-1968. Kansas City, Mo.: T.E. Kurtz, 196-?. FHL Book 929.273 B739k
- [Brewster] Curtis, Oscar F. Alexander--Brewster--Irwin--Dunn. Typescript. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1638364 Item 1
- [Craven] Craven, Patricia. The Craven Clan of Southwestern Pennsylvania and Various Kentucky Counties Nelson, Washington, Marion, Boone, Fayette, Jessamine, Henry. Chicago, Ill.: P. Craven, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 C855cr
- [Downey] Downey, Donald Gordon. Downey Families of Kentucky: Ancestors of Donald G. Downey. Louisville, Ky.: D.G. Downey, 1993. 1994 reprint: FHL Book 929.273 D758dd
- [Galey] McCammon, George William. Some of the Descendants of Matthew McCammon, 1757-1841, Scot-Irish Immigrant and Revolutionary War Veteran and Indiana Pioneer. Shoals, Ind.: Country Pines Printing, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 M125m
- [Johnson] A Genealogy of the Johnson Family. Typescript. Microfilmed 1986. FHL Vault Film 1451807
- [Lyon] Mitchell, Mary Edna. One Branch of the Lyon Family (Kentucky - Missouri - Elsewhere). Waco, Texas: M.E. Mitchell, 1954. FHL Book 929.273 L994m
- [Meade] Peet, Henry Johns. Chaumiere Papers Containing Matters of Interest to the Descendants of David Meade, of Nansemond County, Va., Who Died in the Year 1757. Chicago: H. O'Donoghue, 1883. FHL Collection; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online .
- [Moseley] Dixon, Judith Holden. The Moseley/Taylor Families of Thomas Berry Proctor and Willie Ann (Taylor) Moseley with Material on the Allied Families of: Maxey, Radford, Bondurant, Smith, Trabue, Guerrant, Withers, Hawkins, Duff, Pryor, Branch, Sandifer, Ligon, Hancock, Stovall, Berry, Proctor, Cheadle, Chiles, Woodson, Fleming, Tarleton. Joplin, Mo.: J.H. Dixon, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 M852d
- [Overstreet] Windland, Harry K. James Overstreet: His Progeny and Allied Families. Glen Carbon, Ill.: H.K. Windland, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 Ov2wh
- [Owens] Sone, Guy M. Genealogy of Rogers, Peyton, Owens, Sone, Marrs, Jennings, Jouett and Allied Families. Jefferson City, Mo.: G.M. Sone, 1958. FHL Film 875358 Item 4
- [Owens] Enderle, Harriet Owen. Owens Genealogy. Written about 1975.
- [Owens] Owens, Claude M. The Owens Connection: William, Sr., to William, Jr., and James (Virginia and Kentucky, 1750-1800 c.). South Laguna, Calif.: C.M. Owens, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 Ow2ocm; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online .
- [Price] Katz, Gertrude Morton Price. Obituaries of Morton Moses Price (1805-1876) and Wife, Fanny Crosthwaite (1822-1892), of Irvine, Estill County, Kentucky and Data about Relatives. New York: n.p., 1971. FHL Film 844831 Item 4
- [Price] Katz, Gertrude Morton Price and S.M. Duncan. William Price, Kentucky Pioneer, and His Family and Times. Typescript. Microfilmed 1986. FHL Film 1321366 Item 5
- [Reynolds] Rohrer, Emalene Reynolds and Lily May McLemore Clark. The Reynolds Family of Jessamine County. Nicholasville, Ky.: E.R. Rohrer, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 R333rc 1989
- [Rhorer] Curtis, Oscar F. Rhorer Research File. Typescript. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1638489 Item 19
- [Robinson] Peters, Norman R. "Benjamin Robinson of Caroline County, VA. But Not the Clerk!" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 48, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2004):57-75; Vol. 48, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2004):120-139. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Scott] Barker, Florence Fares. Scott Family, ca. 1788-1986. Typescript, Rockport Public Library, Rockport, Ind. Microfilmed 1987. FHL Film 1502917 Item 2
- [Sone] Sone, Guy M. Genealogy of Rogers, Peyton, Owens, Sone, Marrs, Jennings, Jouett and Allied Families. Jefferson City, Mo.: G.M. Sone, 1958. FHL Film 875358 Item 4
- [Stewart] Stewart, Scott John. The Stewarts: Adam to Adam. 1998. FHL Book 929.273 St49ssj
- [Stuart] Stuart, W. Wilson, Cheryl Stuart Oberhaus, and Mary Haislip Jameson. Genealogy of Thomas and Elizabeth Stuart 1762-1826 from Virginia to Kentucky to Missouri with Some Descendants. Keokuk, Iowa: W.W. Stuart, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 St91sw; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online .
- [Todd] McMurtry, Richard K. Addendum to Todd Families in America Collection. MSS. 2004-2005. FHL Vault Film 1735027 Item 10
- [Trabue] Colwell, Pauline Trabue Groves and Osee Johnson Knouf. Trabue Family History: Ancestry and Known Descendants of David Trabue, Jr., Born Oct. 9, 1768, Manikintown, Virginia, Died Apr. 8, 1842, Jessamine Co., Kentucky. Champaign, Ill.: n.p., 1968. FHL Book 929.273 T671c
- [Trisler] Trislers and Related Families. Bountiful, Utah: Family History Publishers, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 T738t
- [Turner] Johnson, Rhea Duryea. Our Duryea and Turner Lines. Cornwall, Pa.: R.D. Johnson, 1959. FHL Book 929.273 D939j
- [Wagaman] Wagaman, Paul Duane. Wagaman Family History. Typescript. FHL Book 929.273 W121wpd
- [Wren] Jeffers, Marilee Anne Shern and Nina Shern Liechty. The Shern Family with Correlating South, Wren and Taylor and Murray Lines. Greeley, Colo.: M.S. Jeffers, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 Sh56j
- [Zike] Smith, Harry Virgle and Iva Pearl Smith. The Zike Book. Typescript. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1638365 Item 1
- [Zimmerman] Moore, Willa Mae Dill. Records of Frederick Zimmerman, Esq., Jessamine Co., Kentucky, Revolutionary Soldier and Other Genealogical Records. Typescript, 1960. FHL Film 879671 Item 5
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1799-1927 - Will Books A to M (1799-1927) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1799, 1805, 1813 - Ellis, Neta Reeves. Jessamine County, Kentucky, Tax Lists 1799-1805-1813. Buffalo, Texas: The Scribes, 1988. FHL Book 976.9483 R48j
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Jessamine County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1815, 1819, 1821 - Ellis, Neta Reeves. Jessamine County, Kentucky, Tax Lists 1815-1819-1821. Buffalo, Texas: The Scribes, 1988. FHL Book 976.9483 R48je
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
Jessamine County Public Library
600 So. Main Street
Nicholasville, KY 40356
Family History Centers
- Jessamine County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jessamine County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jessamine County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).