Jersey County, Illinois Genealogy
|Jersey County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 28, 1839|
|Address|| 200 N. LaFayette|
Jerseyville, IL 62052
618-498-5571, ext. 115
|Named for: New Jersey|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Archives, Libraries, and Museums
- 6 Societies
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
|Beginning Dates for Jersey County Records|
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Jersey County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Jersey Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Jersey County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Jackson County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|Decennial US Census|
- 1893 Historical Directory
- 1918 Directory of Farmers and Breeders for Jersey and Greene Counties
- 1928 Huber's Directory
- 1947 Farm Directory
BLM GLO Records. Search original land patents for Jersey County from the Govenment Land Office (GLO) or Eastern States Office. Some searches include images of the original warrants. All search results include the patant details needed for requesting copies of the land entry files at the National Archives. The GLO is the custodian of millions of land title documents. The General Land Office Automated Records Project is responsible for making these important documents available to the public.
Land records that include Bond County at Ancestry.com $:
- "Illinois Public Land Purchase Records" This record extract includes over 538,000 land sales from the 19th Century. Each entry includes the purchaser's name, purchase date, number of acres, price per acre, and in some cases the purchaser's sex and residence.
- "U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796 to 1907:" Records of Illinois are among the 13 states included in this set. It includes images of the land patents which contain the information necessary for ordering the complete case files from the National Archives. This appears to be the same information that is online at the Federal Land Office site http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/.
- Sheldon, Theodore. Land registration in Illinois. Chicago: Callaghan Co., 1901. Digital book. Expains the laws regarding land and the land systems used in Illinois. Includes court cases involving land issues. In addition to being on Ancestry, this book is available online at no cost at Internet Archives and Google Books.==== Land ====
- Military discharge records 1918 to 1965
- Military discharge records index 1918 to 1967
Civil War service men from Jersey County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Jersey County.
- - 61st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies C and D.
- - 97th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies H and K.
Maturalization and Citizenship
- Birth records 1878 to 1932
- Birth records index 1857 to 1967
- Birth records, proof of 1845 to 1866
- Stillbirths 1905 to 1932
- Marriage records 1839 to 1967
Available at Ancestry.com $:
- Jersey County marriages in "Illinois Marriages 1851 to 1900." The source of this collection is films in the Family History Library's collection
- Death records 1878 to 1900
- Death records index 1878 to 1983
Archives, Libraries, and Museums
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jersey County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 195. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.