Jersey County, Illinois Genealogy
|Jersey County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 28, 1839|
|Address|| 200 N. LaFayette|
Jerseyville, IL 62052
618-498-5571, ext. 115
|Named for: New Jersey|
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Places / Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Archives, Libraries, and Museums
- 5 Societies
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Jersey County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Jersey Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Jersey County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Jackson County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|Decennial US Census|
- 1893 Historical Directory
- 1918 Directory of Farmers and Breeders for Jersey and Greene Counties
- 1928 Huber's Directory
- 1947 Farm Directory
- Military discharge records 1918 to 1965
- Military discharge records index 1918 to 1967
Civil War service men from Jersey County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Jersey County.
- - 61st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies C and D.
- - 97th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies H and K.
Maturalization and Citizenship
- Birth records 1878 to 1932
- Birth records index 1857 to 1967
- Birth records, proof of 1845 to 1866
- Stillbirths 1905 to 1932
- Marriage records 1839 to 1967
- Death records 1878 to 1900
- Death records index 1878 to 1983
Archives, Libraries, and Museums
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jersey County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 195. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.