Jerome County, Idaho Genealogy
|Jerome County, Idaho|
Location in the state of Idaho
Location of Idaho in the U.S.
|Address|| Jerome County Courthouse|
300 North Lincoln Avenue
Jerome, ID 83338-0407
Phone: (208) 324-8811
Fax: (208) 324-2719
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Quick Facts
- 4 Parent County
- 5 Boundary Changes
- 6 Record Loss
- 7 Places/Localities
- 8 Resources
- 9 Cemeteries
- 10 Census
- 11 Church
- 12 County Commissioners' Records
- 13 Court Records
- 14 History
- 15 Land and Property
- 16 Maps
- 17 Military
- 18 Miscellaneous Series
- 19 Newspapers
- 20 Obituaries
- 21 Pension Records
- 22 Probate
- 23 Taxation
- 24 Vital Records
- 25 Societies and Libraries
- 26 Websites
- 27 References
The county was named for one of the following: Jerome Hill, one of the developers of the North Side Irrigation Project; his grandson, Jerome Kuhn, Jr.; or his son-in-law, Jerome Kuhn. All were important to the growth of the county. The County Seat is Jerome and was founded February 8, 1919. It is located in the south central area of the state.
Jerome County, Idaho Record Dates
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
The types of records that follow are used for genealogy and family history. Most tell what you may learn and how to locate the records. Links to Internet sites usually go directly to Jerome County, Idaho Genealogy entries with names, images, or information.
|Don't overlook Jerome County, Idaho Genealogy items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Archives and Libraries.|
Many of the older court, land, naturalization, probate, pension, and vital records for Jerome County have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through their family history centers. They are also available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise. Details of the county records in these respective institutions can be obtained from their online catalogs or listings. Original records which have been microfilmed and more recent records are in the county courthouse in Jerome.
The following cemeteries of Jerome County have been identified and some of their records located. When multiple transcriptions are listed, they may contain differing information. The transcriptions may have been made at different times and by different people. Some names may have been mis-read. Some gravestones may have been missed. All transcriptions available for each cemetery should be checked.
|Name of cemetery||Location||Records|
|(Eden) Trinity Lutheran Cemetery||3 m S of Eden||Some records of this cemetery at the Idaho State Archives in Boise; Transcription and photos of 75 gravestones available through Find-a-Grave.com website; transcription of 54 gravestones last updated in February of 2000, available through Interment.net website|
|Haughey Grave||Jerome, Devils Corral||Information on 1 gravesite available through Find-a-Grave.com website; information on 1 gravessite available on the USGenWeb website for Jerome County|
|Hazelton Cemetery||Hazelton||Transcription and some photos of 735 gravestones available through Find-a-Grave.com website; transcription of 577 gravestones made in 2000 available through Interment.net website; photos of 796 gravestones available throug idahogravestones.org|
|Hunt Relocation Center Cemetery||Between Jerome and Eden||Information on 1 gravesite and history of the cemetery available on the USGenWeb website for Jerome County|
|Ira Burton Perrine Cemetery||Perrine||Transcription and some photos of 6 gravestones available through Find-a-Grave.com website; transcription of 6 gravestones made in 2003 available through Interment.net website; transcription of 6 gravestones available on the USGenWeb website for Jerome County|
|Jerome Cemetery||Jerome||Some records of this cemetery at the Idaho State Archives in Boise; Transcription and some photos of 6,068 gravestones available through Find-a-Grave.com website; transcription of 4,784 gravestones made in 1991 available through Interment.net website; transcription available on the USGenWeb website for Jerome County; photos of 39 gravestones available through idahogravestones.org website|
|Milner Dam Cemetery (four burials)||Milner Dam||Some records of this cemetery at the Idaho State Archives in Boise|
|Monastery of the Ascension Cemetery||Jerome||Transcription and photos of 12 gravestones available through Find-a-Grave.com website; transcription of 6 gravestones available on the USGenWeb website for Jerome County|
The 1890 federal census for Idaho was destroyed. However, the Idaho State Historical Society Public Archives and Research Library is creating a list of 1890 Idaho residents by indexing a variety of records, 1885-1894. This reconstructed list will substitute for the destroyed 1890 federal census.
For a summary of census records for the state of Idaho, see Idaho Census Records.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons)
- List of Jerome County stakes and wards to about 1948.
- The following are local congregations (wards) which existed in Jerome County, Idaho prior to 1950.
- Stakes: Blaine, Minidoka
County Commissioners' Records
The minute books of the County Commissioners contain interesting tidbits of history about the county as well as the names of individuals appealing to the County Commissioners for action on issues of concern to them. Minutes of those meetings were recorded from the formation of the county, for most counties. Some counties now post the minutes of current meetings online.
Most of these records have been preserved in the county courthouses of the State of Idaho. Few have been microfilmed. Contact the county clerk for information about years covered and availability
Some of the early court records of Jerome County, Idaho have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho. The records filmed include civil suits, divorce papers, judgment dockets, etc. Copies of these microfilmed court records are also available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah or at any of the Library's Family History Centers. Additional court records and more recent records are housed at the Jerome County courthouse in Jerome, and can be accessed by making a visit there.
Some of the records of the courts of Jerome County that have been microfilmed include:
- Power of attorney, 1884-1965
- Index to judgments, 1919-1987; judgments, 1919-1928
A brief history of Jerome County, Idaho is given on the Jerome County GenWeb page.
WorldCat.org is an excellent resource for locating published and archival materials on the history of Jerome County. Books include:
- History of Jerome County, sponsored by the Jerome County Farm Bureau
- Settlement of Idaho by Utah pioneers : Cassia, Minidoka, Twin Falls, and Jerome Counties, by Anne Miller Eckman
- History of the Japanese-American relocation center at Hunt, Minidoka County, Idaho, by Donald E Hausler [Note: Title was later corrected to ...Hunt, Jerome County, Idaho]
- The history of the North Side : the first 75 years, by Virginia Ricketts and Don Sparhawk
- Then and now in southern Idaho, by Virginia Ricketts
In addition, the Jerome County Historical Society has published a monthly newsletter and an annual "historical calendar." See WorldCat for holdings
Land and Property
Land and Property records are generally recorded in the county courthouse of the county in which the transaction took place. For original records of Jerome County, Idaho, one may visit the courthouse in Jerome, Idaho. Jerome County was formed in 1919 and early records of the area covered now in Jerome County may be found in the county records of Gooding or Lincoln counties.
It appears that as of this date there are no microfilm copies of any Jerome County land and property records. Be sure to check Gooding or Lincoln counties.
- A digital Jerome County Idaho map is available online.
- Map of Jerome County, Idaho is available online.
Because Jerome County was not formed until 1919, those who were of military draft age for World War I were included in the draft registration records of Bannock County, Gooding County and Lincoln County, the parent counties of Caribou.
World War II
- 1942-1945 - Idaho, Jerome County Historical Society, Minidoka Japanese Relocation Center Mixed Vital Records, 1942-1945 at FamilySearch — index
Often overlooked by the genealogist, this group of volumes may contain affidavits for citizenship, final disposition of estates, divorce decrees, and many other types of valuable documents. The content varies from county to county, year to year and from clerk to clerk. When the estate case files, civil or criminal files are not available or have been destroyed, you may find key documents recorded here. Most counties will have an index to this series and it is a must search if the information you are seeking is not found elsewhere.
Both the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho, and the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah have copies of the miscellaneous record of Jerome County. The originals are held in the Jerome County courthouse in Jerome, Idaho and can be accessed by visiting there. Copies in the Idaho State Archives are available for viewing in Boise. Those held by the Family History Library can be viewed either at the Library in Salt Lake City or at any of its Family History Centers.
- Jerome County courier - 1988:11:22-1989:1:24
- Jerome County courier - 1989:3:22-1989:11:6
- Jerome County journal - 1924:1:3-1938:10:20
- Lincoln County times - 1911:3:9-1920:2:20
- North side news - 1908:11:12-1993:12:29
Old Age Pensions were provided by the State of Idaho from 1931 to 1936. The original papers for several counties have been transferred to the Idaho State Archives in Boise and have been indexed. Jerome County Old Age Pensions are included in that index.
Online Probate Records
- 1857 – 1989 Idaho Wills and Probate Records 1857-1989 at Ancestry.com $
Any existing original Probate records from Jerome County should be available at the Jerome County courthouse and can be accessed by visiting there.
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah has microfilmed Estate records (1918-1941), Letters of Testimentary (1919-1927), and an Index to Probate Records, and these films are available for viewing at the Library in Salt Lake City or in any of its Family History Centers.
Any existing tax assessment rolls for Jerome County should be in the courthouse in Jerome and would need to be accessed by visiting there.
- 1861-1911 - Idaho, Birth Index, 1861-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883-1929 - Idaho County Birth and Death Records 1883-1929 at FamilySearch.
Birth records, 1911 to present, for individuals born in Jerome County are included in and recorded at the state level. These records are restricted for a period of one hundred years from the time of the individual's birth but can be obtained by following the guidelines as issued by the State of Idaho. See the Idaho Vital Records section under the subject Idaho for more details.
Some 423 Idaho Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records) for Jerome County are available online.
- 1800-1987 - Idaho, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1864-1976 - Idaho Church Marriages, 1864-1976 at FamilySearch — index
- 1864-1950 - Idaho County Marriages, 1864-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1878-1898; 1903-1942 - Idaho Marriages, 1878-1898; 1903-1942 at FamilySearch — index
- 1947-1963 - Idaho Marriage Index, 1947-1961 at FamilySearch — index
Nearly 1300 marriages, 1919-1942, are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
There are 189 Jerome County Idaho Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records) online with other Idaho marriages.
- 1883-1929 - Idaho County Birth and Death Records 1883-1929 at FamilySearch.
- 1938-1961 - Idaho Death Certificates, 1938-1961 at FamilySearch — index
Deaths occurring in Jerome County after 1911 are included in the state-wide registration program. These records are restricted for a period of fifty years from the time of the individual's death but can be obtained by following the guidelines as issued by the State of Idaho. See the Idaho Vital Records section under Idaho for details.
Copies of death certificates from 1911-1954 are on microfilm and can be used at the Idaho State Archives, the Family History Library, BYU-Idaho University Library in Rexburg and several other locations.
A state-wide index to Idaho Deaths, 1911-1956 is available online. Efforts to expand this index to 1960 are underway.
Societies and Libraries
Many public libraries provide internet access to sites of value to the family historian. Some have special collections of historical and cultural interest, as well. The following libraries may have some resources of value, but use of some or all of them may require a visit to the library.
- Jerome Public Library
100 1st Ave E
Jerome, ID 83338
Phone: (208) 324-5427
- Jerome County Historical Society
P.O. Box 50
Jerome, Idaho 83338
- Hagerman Valley Historical Society Inc:
- 100 North State Street, Hagerman, ID 83332
Open Wednesday-Sunday 1:00-4:00
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- The Jerome County Idaho GenWeb Project, a member of The IDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Jerome County, Idaho Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Jerome County, Idaho Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/ida/jerome/
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jerome County, Idaho. Page 177-180 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 180-181.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jerome, Idaho page 178, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Idaho State Historical Society Reference Series, Number 10, Counties and County Seats, Reissued July, 1991.
- census.gov - Idaho population by county, 1900-90 accessed 2009-05-03
- quickfacts.census.gov - Canyon County accessed 2009-05-03