Jefferson County, Ohio Genealogy
|Jefferson County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Jefferson County Courthouse|
301 Market St.
Steubenville, Ohio 43952
Jefferson County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogy
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Military
- 2.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.17 Newspapers
- 2.18 Obituaries
- 2.19 Periodicals
- 2.20 Probate
- 2.21 Public Records
- 2.22 Repositories
- 2.23 Taxation
- 2.24 Vital Records
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 Places
- 5 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Washington County 27 July 1797.
- County Seat: Steubenville
- Neighboring Counties: Jefferson County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Columbiana (north) · Belmont (south) · Carroll (northwest) · Harrison (west) · Hancock County, West Virginia and Brooke County, West Virgina (east) · Ohio County, West Virginia (southeast)
See an interactive map of Jefferson County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
Court of Common Pleas
- Common Pleas civil docket (Appearance), 1804-1854 FHL microfilm.
- Common Pleas Court Journals.
The probate was formed in 1851 and generated many types of documents. Resources containing probate documents are listed under the Probate section of the Jefferson County, Ohio page. Likewise for resources containing naturalization documents see Naturalization. This section focuses on resources containing "the other" documents generated by the probate court; but in some cases a resource (such as a journal) will have entries regarding both probate and "other things".'Note also that the probate court had jurisdiction over the county and justice of the peace records.
- Ohio, Jefferson County Court Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) This is a wiki article describing and linking to an online collection. As of 15 Nov 2012 this collection only contains probate estate packets, but perhaps more documents generated by the the probate court will be added.
- 1818-1820s Clerk of Court Justice of Peace Ledger. See Ohio State Archives
- Probate journal, 1852-1887. FHL film.
- 1803-1826 Clerk of Courts Supreme Court Complete Record. 2 Vol. See Ohio State Archives.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
You can find many local histories within Jefferson County at www.digitalshoebox.org, which is a website from the Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio (Schiappa Branch), where they have digitized many of their collection. This website includes library contributions from all of southeast Ohio.
You can also find much information on the Jefferson County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society website at http://jeffcochapter.com. Many of the early records of this county have been donated to the chapter, and they are in the process of housing and cataloging these collections.
You can also find much historical and genealogical information at the Jefferson County Historical Museum located at 426 Franklin Ave., Steubenville, OH 43952. Phone 740-283-1133. Hours of operation vary due to volunteer staff, so please call ahead to make arrangements for tours and library researching.
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Morgan County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Morgan County.
- - 98th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies A and D
Naturalization and Citizenship
The local newspaper is "The Herald-Star" located at 401 Herald Square, Steubenville, OH 43952. Phone (740) 283-4711. The website is www.hsconnect.com. The archive issues of this paper date to 1806, and can be accessed at the Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County (Schiappa Branch - Ohio Room). They are housed on microfilm, and many issues have been indexed. Some of these indexes are digitized online (including 1892), and others are available at the library.
Obituaries of the recently deceased (last 5-10 years) can also be accessed by visiting the websites of local funeral homes. A few of these are listed below:
Clarke Funeral Home, Toronto - www.clarkefuneralhome.com
Everhart-Bove Funeral Home - www.everhart-bovefuneralhomes.com
Shorac Funeral Homes - www.shorac.com
Mosti Funeral Home - www.mostifuneralhome.com
J.E. Foster Funeral Homes - www.jefosterfh.com
WIlls - Index and Abstracts
- Daily, Linda. Index to early wills and estates of Jefferson County, Ohio up to 1853. FHL US/CAN Book 977.1 A1 no. 676.
- DiThomas, Mary, Will abstracts taken from will book one, 1798-1821, Jefferson County, Northwest Territory, and the State of Ohio. FHL US/CAN Book 977.1 A1 no. 269.
- DiThomas, Mary E. Will abstracts taken from will book two, 1821-1836, Jefferson County, Ohio. State of Ohio FHL US/CAN Book 977.1 A1 no. 276.
Wills - Images (digital or film)
- DiThomas, Mary E. Early estate administrations, Jefferson County, Ohio, to 1818 : taken from Common Pleas Court journals. FHL US/CAN Book 977.169 P2.
- Administrators' dockets, 1838-1918. FHL film.
- Administrators bonds vols. 1-3, 1849-1885. FHL film.
- Executors bonds vol. 1-3, 1849-1885. FHL film
Inventories - Index and Abstracts
- Francy, Leila S. Inventory of estates, Jefferson County, Ohio : books I and II, 1803-1816. FHL US/CAN Book 977.169 P28i.
Inventories - Images (digital or film)
- Inventory of estates, 1803-1889. See FHL catalog.
Guardianship - Index and Abstracts
- DiThomas, Mary E. Court appointed, and chosen guardians from Common Pleas Court journals, Jefferson County, Ohio, to 1818 FHL US/CAN Book 977.1 A1 no. 271.
- Guardians' dockets, 1838-1920. FHL film.
- Guardian bonds and letters, 1849-1894. FHL film.
- 1797+ Estate Packets FamilySearch Historical Records Collection.
Final Record Books
- Final record of probate cases, 1852-1888. FHL microfilm.
Jefferson County Courthouse
301 Market Street
Steubenville, OH 43952
Probate Judge has marriage, probate and naturalization records,
probate and naturalization records; Clerk Court has divorce and
court records from 1797; County Recorder has land records
from 1797; Board of Health has birth and death records
Family History Centers
- Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio - Schiappa Branch Ohio Room (for genealogical research and history), 4141 Mall Drive, Steubenville, OH 43952. Phone: 740-264-6166
- Vivian Snyder Genealogical Library, Jefferson County Historical Museum, 426 Franklin Ave., Steubenville, OH 43952. Phone (740) 283-1133
- Jefferson County Chapter, OGS - http://jeffcochapter.com
- 1816-1838 Ohio Tax Records, 1800-1850. FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. As of 12 Nov 2012 only partially digitalized, but on microfilm. Appears that when complete, this collection will cover Jefferson county from 1816-1838.
- 1835, 1864, 1865, 1869, 1870 See Ohio State Archives.
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Ohio Historical Society - Jefferson county
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002]. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- Wikipedia contributors, "Jefferson County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).