Jefferson County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Jefferson County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jefferson County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||May 1, 1780|
- 1 Jefferson County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Jefferson County Kentucky History
- 3 Jefferson County Kentucky Places/Localities
- 4 Jefferson County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American Research
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Directories
- 4.8 Genealogy
- 4.9 Land
- 4.10 Local Histories
- 4.11 Maps
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Miscellaneous
- 4.14 Newspapers
- 4.15 Obituaries
- 4.16 Probate
- 4.17 Taxation
- 4.18 Vital Records
- 5 Jefferson County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Jefferson County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Jefferson County Kentucky Genealogy References
Jefferson County Kentucky Courthouse
527 W Jefferson Street
Louisville, KY 40202-2814
Jefferson County Kentucky History
The county was named after Declaration of Independence Author Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) who became President in 1797.
1780--Jefferson County was created on 1 May 1780 as a Virginia county when Kentucky County (Virginia) was abolished to form Fayette, Jefferson and Lincoln counties. See County Formations Database (Kentucky Land Office)
County seat: Louisville 
See an interactive map of Jefferson County boundary changes.
Jefferson County Kentucky Places/Localities
- Bullitt County, Kentucky
- Clark County, Indiana
- Floyd County, Indiana
- Hardin County, Kentucky
- Harrison County, Indiana
- Oldham County, Kentucky
- Shelby County, Kentucky
- Spencer County, Kentucky
Jefferson County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Jefferson Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- The Metro Louisville-Jefferson County KyGenWeb Project Cemetery Directory has the largest cemetery listing. Jefferson County once had over 500 public cemeteries and family graveyards, but many have been lost through the ravages of time. This site identifies 235 of them.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Jefferson County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- TheFamily History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Jefferson County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Jefferson County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|Jefferson County, KY census|
For tips on accessing Jefferson County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
1790 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
1793 Tax List
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
Fold3.com ($) has Louisville City Directories 1861, 1864-1923 available online.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Bainbridge] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Barns] Brand, Franklin Marion. The Brand Family of Monongalia County, Virginia (Now West Virginia). Morgantown, W. Va.: F.M. Brand, 1922. FHL Film 1033725 Item 7; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Beeler] Pappas, Carolyn H. "Christopher Beeler, 1705-1775," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 43, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1999):243-255; Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):18-30; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):115-125. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Booker] Booker, Charles Lee. The Bucher/Booker Family, 1686-1990 from Klein Gartach, Wurttemberg, Germany to Frederick County, Virginia to Harrison and Jefferson Counties, Kentucky to Knox and Sullivan Counties, Indiana to the Illinois Counties of Jasper, Macon, Moultrie, Piatt, and Sangamon. n.p.: C.L. Booker, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 B852b
- [Brooks] Pappas, Carolyn H. "Christopher Beeler, 1705-1775," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 43, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1999):243-255; Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):18-30; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):115-125. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Bucher] See Booker.
- [Byerly] Hanson, Richard E. Descendants of Paul Byerly (Born 1855, Louisville, Kentucky) and His Wife, Martha Marie Hodgman. Typescript, circa 1960. FHL Fiche 6019132
- [Cary] Harrison, Fairfax. The Virginia Carys. New York: De Vinne Press, 1919. Digital version at Internet Archive - free; FHL Film 1011836 Item 3.
- [Clark] Dorman, John Frederick. Descendants of General Jonathan Clark, Jefferson County, Kentucky, 1750-1811. Louisville, Ky.: n.p., 1949. Reprinted from the Filson Club History Quarterly, Vol. 23, Nos. 1-2, 4. FHL Film 1036197 Item 4
- [Deneal] DeNeal, Gary. The DeNeales of Virginia. 1971. Fairfax Public Library, Fairfax, Va.
- [Deneal] Hunt, John G. "Deneal(e) or Oduneal of Fairfax County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 25, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1981):295-302. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 25 (1981).
- [Egg] Miller, Marguerite A. My Family Genealogy of Knauer, Egg, Fleischmann, and Eppler Families from Germany to Jefferson County, Kentucky and Other Area's. Smithfield, Ky.: M.A. Miller, 2006. FHL Book 929.273 K729mm; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- [Eppler] Miller, Marguerite A. My Family Genealogy of Knauer, Egg, Fleischmann, and Eppler Families from Germany to Jefferson County, Kentucky and Other Area's. Smithfield, Ky.: M.A. Miller, 2006. FHL Book 929.273 K729mm; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- [Fleischmann] Miller, Marguerite A. My Family Genealogy of Knauer, Egg, Fleischmann, and Eppler Families from Germany to Jefferson County, Kentucky and Other Area's. Smithfield, Ky.: M.A. Miller, 2006. FHL Book 929.273 K729mm; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- [Gray] Amundson, Margaret R. "When was George Gray Born?" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 50, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2006):148-151. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Johnston] Johnston, Floyd Allen. Lt. Benjamin Johnston Virginia Milita - Revolutionary War Born, Carolina County, Virginia in 1735, Died, Louisville Kentucky in 1792, Son of William Johnston and Ann Chew. Typescript, 1969. FHL Film 877505 Item 4
- [Knauer] Miller, Marguerite A. My Family Genealogy of Knauer, Egg, Fleischmann, and Eppler Families from Germany to Jefferson County, Kentucky and Other Area's. Smithfield, Ky.: M.A. Miller, 2006. FHL Book 929.273 K729mm; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- [Krieg] Head, James H. German Origins of a Krieg Family: A Description of the Family of Jacob Krieg (1778-c1845) Who Immigrated from Beuren in Württemberg to Monroe County, Ohio in 1834: Descendants Lived in Monroe County, Ohio; Louisville, Kentucky; Bartholomew County, Indiana. Monument, Colo.: J.H. Head, 2006. FHL Book 929.273 K893h; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online. Another edition: FHL 929.273 K893h 2006; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- [Krieg] Head, James H. Krieg Family History: An Account of the Genealogy of the Krieg Family of Bartholomew County, Indiana with Comments on Kreig (Krieg) Relations in Louisville, Kentucky. Monument, Colo.: J.H. Head, 2006. FHL Book 929.273 K893hj; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- [Machtolff] Parrott, Edna and Carol Miller. Ancestry and Descendants of August Andreas Machtolff of Louisville, Kentucky. Louisville, Ky.: E. Parrott & C. Miller, 2003. FHL Book 929.273 M185p
- [Pentecost] Pappas, Carolyn H. "Christopher Beeler, 1705-1775," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 43, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1999):243-255; Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):18-30; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):115-125. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Prather]Prather, William A.Captain Basil Prather, 1731-1803, of Maryland and Kentucky and His Louisville Home 'Fox Hill'. Waynesboro, Miss.: W.A. Prather, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 P887pr.
- [Rogers] Rogers, Lon B. "Colonel James Rogers (1742--1828) Nelson County Pioneer," The Kentucky Genealogist, Vol. 3, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1961):3-6.
- [Rust] Rust, Ellsworth Marshall. Rust of Virginia: Genealogical and Biographical Sketches of the Descendants of William Rust, 1654-1940. Washington, D.C.: Rust, 1940. FHL Book 929.273 R922re.
- [Seaton] Katheder, Thomas. "Seaton of Fauquier County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):83-102. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Shipp] Sanders, Walter R. The Shipp Genealogy from Essex, Caroline, Faquier Counties, Virginia, to Green, Taylor, Woodford, Jefferson, Fayette, Christian, Bourbon, Scott, Owen, Counties, Kentucky, and Johnson Counties, Indiana. Typescript. Microfilmed 1971. FHL Book 929.273 Sh64s; FHL Film 875372 Item 5
- [Shoninger] Shoninger Family of Louisville, Kentucky: Birth, Marriage and Death Records, 1793-1916. MSS., American Jewish Archives, Cincinnati, Ohio. Reproduction: FHL Film 1012750 Item 7
- [Stafford] Stafford, Carolyn Joy. The Biography of Thomas Moore Stafford, 1841-1910 of City of Louisville, Clark, and Nicholas Counties, Kentucky and Citrus and Lee Counties, Florida: Saddler, Soldier, Settler. Brandon, Fla.: C.J. Stafford, 2007. FHL Book 921.73 St13s; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- [Stowers] Holtzclaw, B.C. "Asbury of Westmoreland County, Virginia," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 5, No. 3 (Jul. 1967):55-65; Vol. 5, No. 4 (Oct. 1967):77-87; Vol. 6, No. 1 (Jan. 1968):10-26. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Strother] Owen, Thomas McAdory, "William Strother of Virginia and His Descendants," Publications of the Southern History Association, Vol. 2, No. 1 (Apr. 1898):149-173. Digitized by Internet Archive.
- [Taylor] Hall, Newman Arnold. "Allerton of Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 32, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1988):83-92; Vol. 32, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1988):171-178; Vol. 32, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1988):287-296; Vol. 33, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1989):13-18; Vol. 33, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1989):94-102; Vol. 33, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1989):175-180. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 32 (1988)-v. 33 (1989).
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- The 1890 Census Veterans Schedules for all of Jefferson County were destroyed except those for the Central Kentucky Lunatic Asylum in Lakeland, Ky listing eight individuals. For information on the 1890 Veterans Schedules see Union Census Records.
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1784-1901 - Will Books 1 to 23 (1784-1901) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Jefferson County probate records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
- 1789-1790 - Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. Available at FHL. [The sources of this publication are the 1789 and 1790 [?] personal property tax lists, and substitutes for 1786 through 1788. Jefferson County is included in Vol. 2.]
- 1789 - Heinemann, Charles B. "First Census" of Kentucky 1790. Washington, D.C.: n.p., 1940. 1981 reprint: FHL US/CAN 976.9 X2ph 1981; digital version at Kentucky Kinfolks. ["6 volumes of 1789 were used, and some duplications were found." (p. 2)]
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Jefferson County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Jefferson County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Louisville Kentucky Family History Center
- Shawnee Kentucky Family History Center
Jefferson County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Jefferson County Metro KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kentucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jefferson County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Jefferson County Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
Jefferson County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jefferson County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.