Jasper County, Illinois Genealogy
|Jasper County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 15, 1831|
|Address|| 204 West Washington St., Suite 2|
Newton, IL 62448-1252
|Named for: William Jasper|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Archives, Libraries and Museums
- 6 Societies
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
|Beginning Dates for Jasper County Records|
- 1831--Jasper County was created 15 February 1831 from Clay and Crawford Counties. County seat: Newton 
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Jasper County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Jasper Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Jasper County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Jasper County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
Land and Property
Illinois Land and Property for more information.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Jasper County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Jasper County.
- - 38th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies H and K.
- - 54th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E.
- - 97th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies D and E.
- - 98th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company I.
Illinois Probate Records for more information.
Illinois Vital Records for more information.
1877–present The original Jasper County birth records 1877- present are housed in the office of the County Clerk. The following copies are available:
1835–present — The original Jasper County marriage records 1835-present are housed in the office of the County Clerk. The following copies are available:
The following abstracts are available:
- 1835–1900 Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900 (1835-1900 for Jasper County)
1877–present - The original Jasper County death records 1877-present are housed in the office of the County Clerk. The following copies are available:
The following abstracts are available:
- 1916–1950 Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916-1950 (1916-1950 for Jasper County)
Archives, Libraries and Museums
The Illinois State Archives administers a system of Illinois Regional Archives Depositories (IRAD) to manage the archival records of local governments. Local governments which have transferred records to the regional depositories include counties, townships, municipalities, and school districts. The records of Jasper County come under the jurisdiction of the Eastern Illinois University (EIU) regional depository.
Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD)
Eastern Illinois University (EIU)
600 Lincoln Avenue
Charleston, IL 61920
Telephone: (217) 581-6093
Hours: Monday – Friday, except state holidays
9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.; 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Note: The depository is staffed by graduate student interns. Because of class scheduling conflicts, hours may vary somewhat from the published schedule. Researchers are urged to call before planning a visit.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jasper County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- USGenWeb Project, Jasper County, Illinois Genealogy (Last update Feb 2008, some broken links)
- "William Jasper," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 195. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.