James County, Tennessee
Courthouse fires in 1890 and 1913 caused extensive record loss. The remaining James County records are housed in Hamilton County.
"Rotating Formation Tennessee County Boundary Maps" (1777-1985) may be viewed for free at the My Tennessee Genealogy website. They rely on AniMap 3.0 software.
Use the free Search for Surnames at Mountain Press's website to quickly search a variety of published James County biography and marriage records. To determine which books are being searched, or to search each publication's index individually, click here. You are now equipped with a checklist of books to pull off the shelves at a genealogy library, or a wish list for your personal book collection.
The following book includes history, vital records, biographies and other miscellaneous records of James County:
- Donnelly, Polly W. et al. James County: A Lost County of Tennessee. Ooltewah, Tenn.: Old James County Chapter, East Tennessee Historical Society, 1983. FHL US/CAN Book 976.882 H2j.
The following book includes newspaper clippings, cemeteries and other miscellaneous information.
- Wooten, John Morgan. James County Scrapbook. 1930s. FHL US/CAN Film 966946 Item 2.
- Sistler, Byron and Barbara Sistler. 1880 Census, James County, Tennessee. Nashville, Tenn.: Byron Sistler & Associates, 1991. FHL US/CAN Book 976.882 X2s 1880.
War of 1812
- Embry, Hermione D. "War of 1812 - Tennessee Pensioners on List - January 2, 1883," Ansearchin' News, Vol. 7, No. 4 (Oct. 1960):90-93. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 B2a v. 7 (1960); digital version at journal website. [Includes James County pensioners (p. 90).]
- Douthat, James L. James County, Tennessee, Marriages 1913-1919. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 1986. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 A1 no. 102.
In 1940 and 1941, W.P.A. workers pinpointed the location of James County divorce papers in diverse Hamilton County Courthouse records, see:
- W.P.A. Guide to Public Vital Statistics in Tennessee. Nashville, Tenn.: The Tennessee Historical Records Survey, 1941. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 A3gp.
- James County, TN Genealogy (USGenWeb)
- Robert M. McBride, "Lost Counties of Tennessee," East Tennessee Historical Society's Publications 38 (1966): 11-14.
- "James County, Tennessee" in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_County,_Tennessee (accessed 25 May 2010).