Jackson Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Jackson Parish Louisiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jackson Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 27, 1845|
|Address|| 500 East Court Avenue|
P.O. Box 730
Jonesboro, LA 71251
- 1 Parish Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- 1845--Jackson Parish was created 27 February 1845 from Claiborne, Ouachita, and Union Parishes.
Parish seat: Jonesboro 
See an interactive map of Jackson Parish boundary changes.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- AfriGeneas ~ African American genealogy
- Louisiana Tombstone Transcription Project ~ cemetery transcriptions and photos ~ USGenWeb
- Louisiana African American Cemeteries ~ cemetery transcriptions
- Interment.net ~ cemetery transcriptions and photographs
- Find A Grave ~ records by name, cemetery, location
|Jackson Parish Census Data|
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Church Angel ~ Church directory of the United States
- Catholic Diocese ~ Listing of Diocese in the United States
Local histories are available for Jackson Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Jackson Parish, Louisiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Library ~ USGenWeb
Military Records - Jackson Par, LAGenWeb
Newspaper Tidbits - Jackson Par, LAGenWeb
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jackson Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Jackson Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Societies and Libraries
Jackson Parish Library
614 South Polk Avenue
Jonesboro, LA 71251
Phone: (318) 259-5697
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jackson Par, USGenWeb Archives Project
- Jackson Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Livingston Parish, Louisiana p 290 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Handybook" defined multiple times with different content
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.