Jackson County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Jackson County has been the home of two county seats and four courthouses. Texana served as the county seat at the county's inception in 1836. The first courthouse building was built there in 1858. In 1883 voters elected to move the county seat to the new town of Edna. A new courthouse was built in Edna in 1884; it burned in June 1900. A third courthouse was built in 1906, a three-story brick Beaux-Arts style domed-building. The current courthouse was built in 1954.
Jackson County Courthouse
County Clerk - Barbara Williams
115 W. Main, Room 101
Edna, TX 77957
Apply for a Birth or Death Certificates contact local Registrar Barbara Williams. Application form - pdf document
Inventory of county records, Jackson County Courthouse, Edna, Texas, 1980. Inventory of records housed in the Jackson County Courthouse. Describes the records of the Commissioners Court, County Judge, County Clerk, County Court, County Attorney, District Clerk, Justice of the Peace, Sheriff, Tax Assessor-Collector, Treasurer, and Auditor. Provides a list of Jackson County records and an index. Digital book online at the Portal to Texas History.
Inventory of the county archives of Texas : Jackson County, no. 120, 1940. Inventory of records housed in the Jackson County Courthouse as of 1936. Describes the records of the County Commissioners Court, County Clerk as Recorder, District Court, County Court, Justices of the Peace, District Attorney, County Attorney, Tax Assessor-Collector, County Treasurer, and other offices. Digital book online at the Portal to Texas History.
1836--Jackson County was created 17 March 1836 from Old Mexican Municipality.
County seat: Edna 
1900 -- Jackson County Courthouse destroyed by fire on Jun 15, 1900. Records of the County Judge, Assessor and Justice of the Peace were lost. 
1906 -- The Jackson County Progress Newspaper plant and offices (along with part of the Edna business district) were destroyed by fire, 12 November 1906.
Places / Localities
Edna | Francitas | Ganado | La Salle | La Ward | Lolita | Vanderbilt
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- "Jackson County, Texas," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com - Edna, TX Courthouse Fire, Jun 1900 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/7559/edna-tx-courthouse-fire-jun-1900
- Handbook of Texas Online: Edna, Texas http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hfe01