Jackson County, Missouri Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
See an interactive map of Jackson County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Jackson County cemeteries on Find a Grave
- Blue Springs Cemetery (Find a Grave)
2800 Southwest Walnut Street
Blue Springs, MO 64015-3321
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Independence Dist
- Kansas City
The History of Jackson county, Missouri containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, etc., biographical sketches of its citizens, Jackson county in the late war... history of Missouri, map of Jackson county ... (1881) 1006 pages, is available online free from Google Books.
Google Books has several books on Kansas City and its residents including:
- Kansas City, Missouri its history and its people 1808-1908, Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3 (1908) by Carrie Westlake Whitney.
- Men who are making Kansas City a biographical directory (1902) by G. Creel and J. Slavens.
- Map of Jackson County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Jackson County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Early migration routes to and from Jackson County, Missouri Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
- Footnote.com ($) has Civil War and other military records available online.
- Marriage licenses dating back to 1826 are available to be searched and viewed at http://records.jacksongov.org/search.asp?cabinet=marriage.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- "List of counties in Missouri," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Jim Tompkins, "The Oregon Trail 1841-1848 Map I" in Oregon Trail Landmarks at http://www.oregonpioneers.com/OTMap1.jpg (accessed 18 July 2011).
- "Oregon California Trails Association" at http://octatrails.micromaps.com/ (accessed 18 July 2011).