Itawamba County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Itawamba County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The Itawamba County Courthouse was built ca. 1852 with a major redesign during 1972.
1836--Itawamba County was created 9 February 1836 from the Chickasaw Cession.
County seat: Fulton 
Over the years, lands in Itawamba County were transferred to three different counties – Tishomingo, Prentiss and Lee. Lee County, formerly embraced within the limits of Itawamba and Pontotoc counties, was established October 26, 1866 with the largest portion of its land coming from Itawamba County (a strip ten miles wide off western Itawamba County, from north to south). The old Itawamba lands east of the line between Ranges 5 and Ranges 6 (old Itawamba-Pontotoc county line) for ten miles went to the new county. This included many old Itawamba County towns such as Baldwyn, Guntown, Saltillo, Tupelo, Verona and Shannon.
On April 15, 1870, Tishomingo County was split into three counties – Alcorn, Prentiss and Tishomingo. At this time a strip running east to west three miles wide along the northern border of Itawamba went to the counties of Tishomingo and Prentiss. The former Itawamba County lands going to Tishomingo County included thirty square miles. The former Itawamba County lands going to Prentiss County included thirty-six square miles
For tips on accessing Itawamba County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Civil War service men from Itawamba County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Itawamba County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Johnston's)
- Company B - Mooresville Darts
- Company I - Rifle Scouts
- Company K - Mississippi Yankee Hunters
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company B - Ben Bullard Rifles
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company C - Ben Bullard Rifles [also listed as Co. D]
- Company G - Fulton Guards [also listed as Co. B]
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Mooresville Blues
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company C – Town Creek Riflemen
- Company E – Calhoun Rifles
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Cavalry (Ashcraft's)
- Company A - Davis’ Company
- Company D - Kohlheim’s Company
- Company E - Story’s Company
- Company F - Hankins’ Company
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry
- Company B - Insurgents
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company B - Griffin’s Company
- - 6th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company B - Brown’s Company
- Company C - Pardue’s Company
- - 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company F - Shackelford’s Company
- - 8th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry (formerly 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company F - Shackelford’s Company
- Company G - Duke’s Company, aka Duke’s Company of Independent Scouts
- 1837-1853 - Itawamba County Marriage Books 1 thru 4 Index 1837-1853. Batch M516941 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1853-1877 - Itawamba County Marriage Books 5 thru 7 Index 1853-1877. Batch M516942 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1887 - Itawamba County Marriage Books 8 and 9 Index 1877-1887. Batches M516943 and M516944 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1887-1893 - Itawamba County Marriage Books 10 and 11 Index 1887-1893. Batch M516945 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1893-1910 - Itawamba County Marriage Books 12 and 13 Index 1893-1910. Batch M516946 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1910-1917 - Itawamba County Marriage Books 14 and 15 Index 1910-1917. Batch M748504 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1902-1909 - Itawamba County Marriage Books 2 and 3 Index 1902-1909. Batch M748494 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
PO Box 7, Mantachie, MS 38855
The George Poteet History Center, a state-of-the-art 2,400 square foot facility located at the corner of Church Street and Museum Drive in Mantachie, houses the Itawamba Historical Society's Gordon McFerrin Auditorium. Also located in this facility are the society's general offices and the Gaither Spradling Research Library.
The library's holdings include more than 1,600 volumes of research material devoted not only to Itawamba County, but most all southern states as well. The society subscribes to more than 30 regional genealogical publications. The library's collections also includes general history and general genealogical areas a large microform collection, archival materials and family history files.
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Itawamba Historical Society
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Itawamba County, Mississippi page 380, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.