Islington St Mary, Middlesex Genealogy
'Islington St. Mary, a suburban parish, in the parliamentary borough of Finsbury, Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 1½ mile north of London.'
There were a considerable number of Church of England chapelries that were built--especially in the 19th Century to accomodate the influx of a large local population. Here is a "Comprehensive List of Islington Chapels and District Churches" by the year 1900.
The Victoria County History of Islington (1985) is available online. It includes chapters on manors, estates, economic history, local government, churches, Roman Catholicism, Protestant nonconformity, Established church of Scotland, missions, Moslems, Hindus, Judaism, education, and charities for the poor.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census and Inhabitants Lists
1693-1694 Four Shilling in the Pound Aid
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Samuel Lewis, ed. " Chinley - Chiswick," In A Topographical Dictionary of England 623-628. (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1848), Online here, (accessed: 18 May 2010). Adapted.
- *Lewis, Samuel. The History and Topography of the Parish of Saint Mary, Islington, in the County of Middlesex. London, 1852. Digital version at Google Books.
- *Nelson, John. The History, Topography, and Antiquities of the Parish of St. Mary Islington, in the County of Middlesex. London, 1811. Digital version at Google Books.
- A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington, Stoke Newington (1985). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=30 Date accessed: 25 March 2012.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Mary, Islington in Islington Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Islington St Mary in Islington Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Islington St Mary in Islington Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Islington St Mary in Islington Borough. Partially indexed.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- 'West Middlesex Marriage Index Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 8 March 2012. May pertain to another Islington parish.