Isles of Shoals is an extinct town on a set of islands six miles off shore in the Gulf of Maine. The islands are divided by the New Hampshire-Maine border, and the Maine-side is now part of the town of Kittery in York County, Maine. The town was first called Apledoore, but the name was changed to Isles of Shoals by 1665. In 1696 the Town of Kittery annexed those islands on the Maine side of the border.
- ↑ Maine Historical Records Survey Project, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Work Projects Administration, Counties, Cities, Towns, and Plantations of Maine: a Handbook of Incorporations, Dissolutions, and Boundary Changes (Portland, Maine: The Survey, 1940), 129 and 156 (digital pp. 138 and 165). A digital version is available via a link in the FHL Catalog.