Isle of Man Genealogy
The Isle of Man is neither part of the United Kingdom nor the European Union.
The official languages of the Isle of Man are Manx Gaelic and English although, by the middle of the twentieth century only a few elderly native speakers remained.
The population of the Isle of Man is about 80,000. The main towns on the island are:
|English Name||Manx Name|
|Peel||Purt ny hInshey|
|Port Erin||Purt Chiarn|
The island was inhabited as far back as the Mesolithic Period and came under Celtic influence during the Iron Age. It had a turbulent history and came under the rule of the Norse in 1079 but in 1266, Norway's King Magnus VI ceded the island to Scotland. The Isle of Man came under English control in the fourteenth century.
The head of state of the Isle of Man is the head of state of the United Kingdom, who holds the title of Lord of Mann and is represented on the island by a Lieutenant Governor. The country's government, Tynwald, thought to have been founded in 979, is one of the oldest established governments in Europe.
Getting started with Isle of Man research
- Browse by Topic: Pages for the Isle of Man
- Isle of Man Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Isle of Man Miscellaneous Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Isle of Man Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Isle of Man Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Isle of Man, Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Isle of Man Names Personal
- Isle of Man FHS
- Isle of Man genealogy links
- Manx National Heritage
- Stirnet Limited: Families Database: Index (unfettered access requires fee or significant data contribution; manually search index for surnames of interest)
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Isle of Man
Did you know?
- Since 1417, Tynwald Day, July 5th, has been the National Day on the Isle of Man. Only on this day does the Isle's legislature meet in St. Johns rather than its usual meeting place in the capital Douglas.
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki see Help wanted on the Isle of Man pages