Irion County, Texas Genealogy
|Irion County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 7, 1889|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Irion County has had two county seats (Sherwood 1889-1936 and Mertzon 1936-present) and three courthouses. When Irion County was organized in 1889, Sherwood was chosen as the county seat. Sherwood, however, was bypassed by the railroad and its population declined. In 1927 the town of Mertzon made an unsuccessful bid for the county seat. In 1936 Mertzon was successful and became the county seat.
In 1889, the first courthouse was built in Sherwood. By 1900 construction started on a new two-story stone courthouse. This new courthouse, completed in 1901 served the county until the county seat until Mertzon became the county seat in 1936. The building is currently in use as a Community Center. 
In 1937 the Irion County Courthouse, a two-story brick contemporary style design building, in Mertzon was completed.
Irion County Courthouse
P.O. Box 736
Mertzon, TX 76941-0736
County Government Website
The county clerk's office has court records from 1889, land records from 1889, probate records from 1889, marriage records from 1889 and nirth and death records from 1903. 
Early settlements began in the early 1870's.
Irion County was named for Robert Anderson Irion (1804-1861), physician, surveyor, and Republic of Texas secretary of state.
Places / Localities
Barnhart | Mertzon | Sherwood
- Texas African American Griots ~ USGenWeb
- AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy
- Texas African American Genealogy ~ Access Genealogy
- Texas Freedman's Bureau Records ~ Freedman's Bureau Online
- Arden Cemetery ~ TXGenWeb
- Rest Haven Cemetery ~ TXGenWeb
- Mertzon Cemetery ~ TXGenWeb
- Sherwood Cemetery ~ TXGenWeb
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
1900 Census Index ~ TXGenWeb
Original Land Owners of Texas ~ Irion County ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- A History of Irion County, Texas, 1966 by Leta Crawford.
- A History of Irion County, Texas, 1978 by Irion County Historical Society.
- Irion County Historical Markers ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Confederate Pension Applications ~ TXGenWeb
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Irion County Library
111 W Fayette Ave
Mertzon, TX 76941
Phone: (325) 835-2704
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handbook of Texas Online: Irion County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hci01
- Google Books: Ghost Towns of Texas by T. Lindsay Baker - Sherwood http://books.google.com/books?id=-OxnaXdxjgkC&pg=PA142&sig=j23w2YkkDhnbXNqGTIVhnUd_HMM&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Texas Escapes http://www.texasescapes.com/WestTexasTowns/Mertzon-Texas-Irion-County-Courthouse.htm
- Family History 101: Irion County http://www.familyhistory101.com/county/tx-county-irion.html
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).