Gazetteers list geographical names such as towns, settlements, rivers, mountains, villages, and districts. They also identify these locations and sometimes give historical and biographical information concerning early residents.
Iowa Place Name Lists
- Iowa State Gazetteer This gazetteer contains some limited biographical information. There are also lists of occupations, the names of people employed in that occupation and the cities where these people lived.
- Abandoned Towns, Villages, and Post Offices of Iowa 
- Iowa State Gazetteer and Business Directory 
- Postmarked Iowa: A List of Discontinued and Renamed Post Offices 
For river landings, see:
- Adams, Louis A. Adam's Directory of Points and Landings on Rivers and Bayous in the States of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. (includes Tennessee) New Orleans : W.L. Murray, 1877. Digital version at Internet Archive.
Family History Library
Gazetteers are listed in the Locality Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
- IOWA - GAZETTEERS
- IOWA - NAMES GEOGRAPHICAL
- IOWA - GAZETTEERS
- Cyndi's list
- Iowa Gazetteers
- Iowa Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1884-1885 ~Ancestry
- Iowa History Project
- Iowa Publications Online
- Hair, James T. Iowa State Gazetteer''.Chicago, Illinois: Bailey &amp; Hair, 1865. (Family History Library book 977.7 E4h; film 1024846 item 5 and film 982200 item 2)
- Mott, David C. Abandoned Towns, Villages, and Post Offices of Iowa. Council Bluffs, Iowa: J. W. Hoffman and S. L. Purington Publishing, 1973. (Family History Library book 977.7 E2m; film 973276 item 2 and film 967574 item 5; fiche 6051149)
- R. L. Polk and Company. Iowa State Gazetteer and Business Directory. St. Paul, Minnesota: Polk; A.C. Danser, 1882-1883. (Family History Library film 989449 item 9 for 1882–1883 ed.; film 1007937 item 3 for 1884–1885 ed.)
- Ramsey, Guy Reed. Postmarked Iowa: A List of Discontinued and Renamed Post Offices. Crete, Neb.: J-B Publishing Co., 1976. (Family History Library book 977.7 E5r)