Difference between revisions of "Iowa Biography"
(<A script created by the FamilySearch Wiki Engineering Team modified a link on this page so it will not break when the Family History Library Catalog changes in late December.>)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
''[[United States|United States]] [[Iowa|Iowa]] Iowa Biography
== Biographies ==
== Biographies ==
Revision as of 00:21, 21 May 2011
Biographies provide useful genealogical information, such as an individual's birth date and place (including foreign birthplace, where applicable); names of family members; wife's maiden name; parents' names; occupation and education; and social, political, and religious affiliation. They may also contain a physical description, previous residences, and immigration information. Biographies are the product of family knowledge or previous research often compiled about the early settlers and prominent citizens of the state, county, or town. Many lesser-known individuals may have biographical sketches written about them, especially in local histories.
- Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources  Contains bibliographies and background information on history and ethnic groups. Also contains maps and tables showing when each county was created.
- Iowa History Reference Guide. Iowa City, Iowa: State Historical Society of Iowa, 1952.This bibliography includes sections about American Indians, immigration, land, government, courts, military, schools, churches, businesses, history, and biographies. It is arranged by subject and has an index.
- Iowa History and Culture: A Bibliography of Materials Published Between 1952 and 1986  This book supplements the book mentioned above. For a supplement covering 1987–1991, see the Annals of Iowa (1993).
An index to over 44,000 early pioneers named in 120 Iowa county histories is:
- Biographical Index to the County Histories of Iowa 
A similar index with about 8,000 names is:
- Iowa Biography IndexForesman, Sherry.
- Citizens Historical Association These sketches are alphabetical and were compiled between 1938 and the 1940s.
- Biographical Data Collection  This collection consists of alphabetical personal-history surveys.
- Biography Files These files are alphabetized folders of newspaper clippings and correspondence.'
Two representative biographical encyclopedias are:
- A Memorial and Biographical Record of Iowa 
- Biographies and Portraits of the Progressive Men of Iowa: Leaders in Business, Politics and the Professions, Together with an Original and Authentic History of the State 
The following gazetteer contains biographical information:
Hair, James T., Iowa State Gazetteer. (Cited fully in Iowa Gazetteers.)
- Family Finder Index.
- Biography and Genealogy Master Index (for prominent persons).
The Family History Library has many biographical publications and histories with biographical information. They are generally listed in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
- IOWA - BIOGRAPHY
- IOWA, [COUNTY] - BIOGRAPHY
- IOWA, [COUNTY] - HISTORY
- Iowa History Special Project - Their mission is to "To place on-line as many out of copyright publications pertaining to all areas of Iowa history." This includes biographical sketches found in many publications.
- Iowa Biographies Project
- Iowa Biographies
- Iowa Biographies (1500 as of Oct 2008)
- Eichholz, Alice, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. Rev. ed. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992. (FHL book 973 D27rb 1992; computer number 594021.)
- William John. Iowa History Reference Guide. Iowa City, Iowa: State Historical Society of Iowa, 1952. (FHL book 977.7 A3p; computer number 241027.)
- Dawson, Patricia and David Hudson. Iowa History and Culture: A Bibliography of Materials Published Between 1952 and 1986. Ames, Iowa. State Historical Society of Iowa, 1986. (FHL book 977.7 H23d; computer number 523059.)
- Morford, Charles. Biographical Index to the County Histories of Iowa. Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, 1979. (Family History Library book 977.7 D32m)
- Iowa Biography Index. Menlo, Iowa: State of Iowa Lending and Research Library, 1986. (Family History Library book 977.7 D22i; fiche 6125666)
- Citizens Historical Association (Indianapolis, Indiana). Biographical Sketches of Iowans. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1976. (Family History Library films 985407–409)
- Iowa. State Department of History and Archives. Biographical Data Collection. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1978. (Family History Library films 1023885–89 and 1023620.)
- Iowa. State Department of History and Archives. Biography Files. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1978. (Family History Library films 1023616 item 2 and –191023617)
- A Memorial and Biographical Record of Iowa. Two volumes. Reprint of 1896 edition, Marceline, Missouri: Walsworth Publishing Co., 1978. (Family History Library book 977.7 D3m; film 1033791 items 2–3; fiche 6051365 also film 934926 item 6.)
- Gue, Benjamin F., and Benjamin Franklin Shambaugh. Biographies and Portraits of the Progressive Men of Iowa: Leaders in Business, Politics and the Professions, Together with an Original and Authentic History of the State. Two volumes. Des Moines, Iowa: Conaway and Shaw, 1899. (Family History Library book 977.7 D3b; film 934927 items 2–3; fiche 6051353)'