Difference between revisions of "Iowa Bible Records"
(→Websites: added link)
|Line 37:||Line 37:|
Revision as of 21:32, 5 November 2009
Bible Records for Iowa
Bibles were often given to a bride as a wedding gift, and families often recorded information in them about their immediate family and close relatives. Bible records may include birth, marriage, and death dates; parents’ names’ and names of children and their spouses, including maiden names. The age of a person may be given at the time of death. Many families kept Bible records from 1850 to more recent times; however, few records have survived.
Societies with Bible Records
Some bibles have been donated to local libraries or societies or you may need to contact descendants to locate the family Bible.
- Daughters of the American Revolution -Iowa. Bible Records. 
- Daughters of the American Revolution -Iowa. This collection, filmed at the DAR Library in Washington, DC, consists of probate (transcripts), obituary, Bible, cemetery, church, marriage, and death records. The collection is in several parts and is listed in the Family History Library Catalog in the "Author-Title Search" under Daughters of the American Revolution (Iowa). The volumes are generally arranged by county, and many have individual indexes. A surname index to the above collection is:
- An Index to Some of the Bibles and Family Records of the United States For records from Iowa, see part two, pages 51–65. This work is a partial surname index to the DAR Genealogical Collection.
- The State Historical Society of Iowa (see "Archives and Libraries" or Iowa Societies) has copies of the DAR Genealogical Collection in 85 volumes. The society also has a short reference guide that indicates which volumes contain information about specific counties. This guide is available at the Family History Library:
- Some Iowa Vital Records 
- State Department of History and Archives. Iowa Family Bible Records, A– Z. The original records are in Des Moines at the State Historical Society of Iowa, where they have a large collection of family Bible records.
- Bible Records 
Books and Periodicals
- Bible Records from Iowa Libraries and Museums  These volumes contain transcripts of Bible records in genealogical periodicals and books. There is an index to volumes 1–3 in: 
- Many Bible records are published in periodicals. See the Iowa Periodicals and, see PERiodical Source Index (PERSI).
Other collections and transcriptions of Bible records are listed in the Locality Search of the Family History Library Catalog under: IOWA - BIBLE RECORDS
- Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971. (Family History Library film 851218 item 6).
- Genealogical Collection. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971. (Family History Library films 850405-409, 851208-220, 850411-2.)
- Kirkham, E. Kay. An Index to Some of the Bibles and Family Records of the United States: 45,500 References as Taken from Microfilm at the Genealogical Society of Utah. Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1984. (Family History Library book 973 D22kk v.2; fiche 6089184.)
- Some Iowa Vital Records Des Moines, Iowa: Iowa Historical Society Library, 1961. (Family History Library Book 977.7 A3h, fiche 6050306)
- Iowa Family Bible Records, A– Z Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1978. (Family History Library film 1023889 items 2–9.)
- Wimberly, Vera Meek. Bible Records. Conroe, Texas: Montgomery County Genealogical and Historical Society, 1980. (Family History Library book 977.7 D29b index)
- Burgess, Jo Ann, and Rita Goranson, comps. Bible Records from Iowa Libraries and Museums. Five volumes. Iowa: N.p., 1977. (Family History Library book 977.7 D29b v. 1; film 1036785 item 3.)
- Bible Records Wimberly, Vera Meek. Bible Records. Conroe, Texas: Montgomery County Genealogical and Historical Society, 1980.