Intermountain Indian School (Utah)
Intermountain Indian School was located in Brigham City, Utah. It occupied the buildings formerly known as the Bushnell Army Hospital, which treated wounded soldiers of World War II from 1942 to 1947.
The school opened operations on the 4th of June 1948 as a federally-run Navajo boarding school. Students were bussed from the Navajo Reservation in Arizona to Brigham City. By January of 1949, more than 500 students were attending.
In the late 1970s, the name was changed to the Intermountain Inter-Tribal School, and students were accepted from nearly 100 tribes.
Intermountain closed in 1984, due to declining enrollment.
At least some of the records for this school are in the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Denver, including student case files, 1953-1971.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online