Ingleton Fell, Yorkshire Genealogy
Parish HistoryINGLETON, a township and chapelry, in the parish of Bentham, union of Settle, wapentake of Ewcross, W. riding of York, 10 miles (N. W.) from Settle; containing 1355 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 15,280 acres, of which the upper part, forming a large portion, is sterile moorland and mountain; the other parts are simply undulated, and on the low grounds the soil is rich and productive. It is separated by the river Greta from the parish of Thornton in Lonsdale; and the road from Kendal to Leeds, and that from Lancaster to Richmond, run through it. The tenure is customary freehold within the manor of Ingleton, of which Messrs. Hornby and Roughsedge are lords. The village is on the Kendal road, at the confluence of two mountain streams, which form the source of the Greta; and is sheltered on the north by a lofty range of hills, among which rise the mountains of Ingleborough, Whernside, and Pennigant. The small hamlets of Chapel-le-Dale, Twistleton, and Gearstones, are romantically situated in a deep secluded valley between the mountains of Whernside and Ingleborough, watered by several streams, and abounding with picturesque scenery. Coal of a tolerably good quality is in abundance; there are several quarries of lime and freestone, and a slatequarry. The cotton manufacture is carried on to some extent. Fairs are held in the village on the day preceding Holy-Thursday, and on the 17th of November; and at Gearstones is a market for corn and oatmeal every Wednesday. The chapel is an ancient edifice with a square tower, and contains a fine antique font: the living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £120; patron, the Rector of Bentham, whose tithes in Ingleton have been commuted for £438. At Chapel-le-Dale is a second chapel, the living of which is also in the Rector's gift; net income, £82. On Ingleton Fells an inconsiderable mountain torrent alternately merges and re-appears, leaving a channel of rock, never covered but in floods. Here, also, is Wethercote cave, a waterfall of great depth and force, completely subterraneous; the descent is steep and slippery, beneath a yawning arch of limestone, opposite to which, from a mouth about one third part of the whole depth from the surface, issues a tremendous cataract that dashes into a rocky basin beneath, and instantly turns to the left, where its waters are lost in another dark and dismal aperture which has no visible termination.
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP =FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|JMI = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk (£)|
|INGLETON FELL PARISH (year) Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes. This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in date. Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 611-614. Adapted. Date accessed: 15 January 2013.