Indians of Louisiana
Tribes and Bands of Louisiana
The following list of tribes is compiled from:
- Hodge, Frederick Webb.Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #30 1907
- Swanton, John W. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #145
Acolapissa, Adai, Alabama, Atakapa, Avoyel, Bayogoula, Biloxi, Caddo, Chatot, Chawasha, Chitimacha, Choctaw, Coushatta, Doustioni, Houma, Kadohadacho, Koasati, Koroa, Mugulasha, Muskogee, Natchez, Natchitoches Confederacy, Ofo, Okelousa, Opelousa, Ouachita, Pascagoula, Quapaw, Quinipissa, Souchitioni, Taensa, Tangipahoa, Tawasa, Tensas, Tunica, Tunica-Biloxi, Washa, Yatasi
Reservations were established by treaty, with westward expansion and settlement occured. Tribes ceded land and were removed to restricted and reserved land. Reservation names in bold are current reservations. As identified in the National Atlas of the United States of America, only the Chitemacha Reservation is a current federally-recognized reservation:
- Chitemacha Reservation Federal, under jurisdiction of Choctaw Agency, Tribe: Chitimacha
- Coushatta Reservation State, under jurisdiction of Choctaw Agency, Tribe: Coushatta
- Penobscot Reservation
- Pleasant Point and Indian Township Reservation
- Tunica-Biloxi Reservation State, under jurisdiction of Choctaw Agency, Tribe Tunica-Biloxi
- Isaacs, Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Resrvations, Appendix E, Indian Reservations, Omnigraphics, Inc.., 1991
Agencies of the Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Caddo Agency
- Choctaw Agency, 421 Powell, Philadelphia, MS 39350
- Lower Louisiana Agency
- Natchitoches Agency
- Red River Agency
Family History Library
- Office of Indian Affairs Superintendency of Trade Natchitoches - Sulphur Fork Factory 1809-1821 T 1029 Family History Library 1st film 1025158
Louisiana History for a calendar of events
Louisiana Military for a list of forts
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.:Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethonology, Bulletin #30 1907. Available online.
- Isaacs. Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E, Indian Reservations. Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
- National Atlas of the United States of America -- Federal Lands and Indian Reservations Available online.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.