Indiana, United States Genealogy
- This article is about a mid-western state. For other uses, see Indiana (disambiguation).
|United States Wiki Topics|
|United States Background|
|Local Research Resources|
|Welcome to Indiana, The Hoosier State|
Extinct or Renamed Counties: Richardville
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Indiana Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Indiana Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Indiana County Marriage Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Indiana, Death Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Indiana GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- The Indiana Memory Collection is made possible through the collaborative efforts of academic libraries, public libraries, historical societies, museums, and archives to create and share their digital collections reflecting Indiana's cultural heritage.
- BYU Research Outline for Indiana
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Indiana
Among the major tribes that lived in what is now Indiana were the Delaware, Kickapoo, Miami, Mound Builders, Piankashaw, Potawatomi, Shawnee, and Wea. After 1794, treaties were made that opened up large areas of land for settlement. At the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811, the Indians were defeated, and white settlements then proceeded at an increased rate. By the 1840s, most of the Indians had moved westward to other lands, either voluntarily or by force. Read more about this subject in the Indiana Native Races article.
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by: