Illinois State Genealogical Society
|Address|| P. O. Box 10195|
Springfield, IL 62791-0195
|President||Dawn Carey Henry|
|Affiliations||Federation of Genealogical Societies|
|Last updated: Dec 12, 2017|
The Illinois State Genealogical Society (ISGS) was formed in 1968 through the cooperative effort and forward thinking of Illinois genealogical society representatives, who envisioned a statewide genealogical organization. ISGS is a not-for-profit, nonsectarian, educational organization. ISGS was established for the following purposes:
- To stimulate an interest in the people who contributed to the establishment and development of the State of Illinois.
- To seek, preserve, and make available data pertaining to individuals, families, and groups who lived in Illinois and to events which took place therein.
- To inform people of the value of, and need for, preserving family and local history for posterity.
- To encourage the formation of local genealogical societies and to coordinate and disseminate information.
Membership in the Illinois State Genealogical Society is loaded with values! Your membership investment will give you many dividends:
- 4 issues of the 64-page Illinois State Genealogical Society Quarterly which is mailed in March, June, September and December;
- 6 issues of the Illinois State Genealogical Society Newsletter;
- access to vital records and indexes;
- ability to submit your surname information to the Surname Research database;
- 20% discount on publications;
- reduced death certificate lookup and conference fees; and
- a genealogist to help with problems.
Fall 2016 Conference
Local Host Society for the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) Annual Conference August 31 - Septmeber 3, 2016 in Springfield, IL. Registration at www.fgsconferences.org
FamilySearch Wiki Page Adoptions
- Illinois Archives and Libraries
- Illinois Bible Records
- Illinois Cemeteries
- Illinois Census
- Illinois Directories
- Illinois Genealogy
- Illinois History
- Illinois Maps
- Illinois Military Records
- Illinois Obituaries
- Illinois Societies
- Illinois Vital Records
The Illinois State Genealogical Society has undertaken a number of projects and initiatives, which serve to: *make valuable contributions to Illinois genealogy research; *provide volunteer opportunities for ISGS-members and non-members alike; and *build a sense of community among those with Illinois ancestors as well as Illinois researchers.
Current and past ISGS projects include:
- ALPL Book Project
- Ancestor Charts
- Angel Project
- Cemetery Records
- Church Records
- Death Certificates
- Family Bible Records
- Military Certificates
- Prairie Pioneers
A complete list of ISGS publications can be found on the Publications page.
The ISGS website now has a Surname Research database which allows any visitor to view surname information and contact researchers. ISGS members you can submit surname information so other researchers can contact them.
The Illinois State Genealogical Society is pleased to announce a brand new service for its members as well as the genealogical community: WEBINARS! You can attend these webinars online over the Internet using your computer - that's right! Education delivered to you at your convenience.
On the 2nd Tuesday of each month, ISGS will offer an educational webinar with topics focusing on Illinois research, methodology, and beginning research. We'll not only be featuring topics relevant to Illinois and Midwest genealogy but also other related topics including vital records, research strategies and more. And the ISGS Webinar Series will also feature some of the best-known speakers in the field of genealogy today.
All ISGS webinars are FREE and open to the public when they are presented live. After the live broadcast, an archived on-demand copy of the webinar will be available to ISGS members via the Members Section.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the directions to the society?
A. The ISGS office is located at:
llinois State Archives
Margaret Cross Norton Building
Springfield, IL 62756
Q. What are the society's hours of operation?
A. The ISGS office is open on:
Monday, 10:00 am - 1:00 pm and
Thursday, 10:00 am to 1:00pm