Idaho Death Certificates (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection consists of Idaho Death Certificates from 1911 to 1937, and an index only of Idaho Death Certificates from 1938 - 1961, as well as a name index and images to Idaho Death Certificates from 1860-1960. The 1911-1937 certificates are arranged numerically by file number, with a rough chronological arrangement by date of death. The records were acquired from the Department of Health & Welfare in Boise. The 1911 to 1937 collection also includes 38 certificates from the years 1890-1910.
Statewide registration of deaths was required by law in 1911. The records are held at the State of Idaho Department of Health and Welfare. Earlier death records that may exist are held at the county level. Statewide registration of deaths began in 1911, and was generally complied with by the early 1920’s.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Idaho Death Certificates,1911-1937.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of deceased
- Date and place of birth
- Date and place of death
- Date and place of burial
- Marital status
- Parent's names
- Parent's birth place
- Genealogical Society of Utah microfilm number
- Volume, page, and certificate number
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person
- The date and place of death
Search the Index
Idaho Death Certificates, 1938-1961
Idaho Death Certificates, 1911-1937
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Filing Number and Year Range to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Idaho, Death Certificates, 1911-1937. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Idaho, Death Certificates, 1890-1960. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Search for obituaries or cemetery records
- Use the information found in the record to find family members in census records
- Search the state censuses as well
- Search for death or burial information in BillionGraves Index
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching a nearby locality
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Consult the Idaho Research Tips and Strategies and its Record Finder to search other records
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Idaho, Death Certificates, 1911-1937" Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Department of Health and Welfare, Boise.
- Collection Citation
- "Idaho Death Certificates, 1938-1961." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Department of Health and Welfare, Boise.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.