Idaho, United States Genealogy
|Idaho Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Idaho, United States Genealogy Ancestors'
Click on the county name to go to a county page.
Extinct or Renamed Counties:
Origin of Idaho
Idaho began as part of Oregon Territory. The counties in the panhandle became part of the Washington Territory in 1853. It became a separate territory in 1863, then encompassing most of what became Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Idaho was the 43rd state admitted to the Union, which occurred 3 July 1890.
Did you know
- The Idaho State Archives (formerly the Idaho State History Society Public Archives and Research Library or PARL) is located at 2205 Old Penitentiary Road in Boise. They have a large collection of newspapers, photographs, and manuscripts relating to Idaho. The Research Center for the Archives is open Tuesday thru Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Their web site gives more information about their holdings.
- You can find your villainous Idaho ancestors at Idaho Blacksheep Ancestors.
- Gretna Greens. When an Idaho couple's marriage is not in their home county, search for it in alternate places like Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai, Idaho, or West Wendover, Elko, Nevada.
- Join the Facebook or Skype
- Read a comprehensive research guide: BYU Research Outline for Idaho
- Find in which county a town is, or locate a physical feature, by using the US Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- Look up Idaho county creation dates and parent counties.
- See the Digital Atlas of Idaho for current maps and other interesting information about each of the counties of Idaho.
- Ask how to find Idaho ancestors at the Western United States Research forum.
- View historic Idaho maps in the David Rumsey Map Collection.
- View digital materials such as photographs, newspaper clippings, government documents and sketches at the Idaho Digital Resources website.
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Idaho
- Find other Idaho genealogy websites at Cyndi's List - Idaho
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- Idaho Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho, Cassia County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho, Clark County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho County Birth and Death Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Histaorical Records)
- Idaho Death Certificates (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho, Teton County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Obtain additional help
Help with the Idaho Wiki pages
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need willing volunteers. You can help:
- Expand county articles
- Check links on pages
- ...and more
- Idaho State Historical Society Reference Series, "Counties Which No Longer Exist", Number 11 available online
- The Evolution of Washington Counties by Newton Carl Abbott, Fred E. Carver, 1979. Published by the Yakima Valley Genealogical Society and Klickitat County Genealogical Society.
- Arlene H. Eakle, "Have you searched and searched for a marriage without finding it?" in Genealogy Blog at http://www.arleneeakle.com/wordpress/2007/02/19/have-you-searched-and-searched-for-the-marriage-without-finding-it/ (accessed 8 January 2011).