Hygiene, Boulder County, Colorado Genealogy
Rev. Jacob Flory established a "hygienic sanitorium" in 1882 adjoining Pella, Colorado. When the sanitorium opened, the post office was moved from Pella to Hygiene and the former community was absorbed into Hygiene,
Pella, Colorado, began on land originally granted to Moses Elliott by President Ulysses S. Grant in 1875. Moses settled the area in 1860, and sold the portion that became the Pella townsite in 1877, although the Pella Grist Mill was built in 1861.
Rev. Flory created the St Vrain Church of the Brethren in Pella. This group, commonly called the Dunkards, built a stone church in Hygiene which has a cemetery in the churchyard. The cemetery adjoins the old Pella Cemetery. For more information about these burials, see Hygiene Cemetery Burial List 1865-2002, Hygiene, Boulder County, Colorado, compiled by Diane Goode Benedict, P O Box 2567 Lyons, Colorado.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- They Came to Stay, Longmont, Colorado, 1858-1920, page 91, published St Vrain Historical Society, 1971.
- Refuge in the Valley, 1800s, Pella, Colorado, by Diane Goode Benedict, published 2004 Applications Plus, P O Box 2567, Lyons Colorado.