Hurricane Utah Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Center Contacts and Hours
- Location Map: Location Map
- 37 South 200 West, Hurricane, Utah 84737
- Coming from St. George, take the first Hurricane Exit. Drive through 5 stop lights after the freeway. Turn Right on 2nd West. We are South of State Street right behind the Hurricane Car Dealership located in the old Seminary building. Parking is available in the back of the building or in the front on the street.
- Monday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 9:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 9:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Monday, Jan. 19 Martin Luther King Day
- Monday, Feb. 16 President's Day
- Wednesday, April 8 Deep Cleaning Day
- Monday, May 25 Memorial Day
- Tuesday, June 16 Deep Cleaning Day
- Monday July 3 - July 26 Summer Break
- Monday, September 7 Labor Day
- Wednesday, Oct. 7 Deep Cleaning Day
- Friday, October 3 - 4 General Conference
- Monday Nov, 23 - 27 Thanksgiving
- Monday, Dec 17 - Jan. 3 Christmas Break (Reopen Monday January 4th)
Calendar and Events
For a listing of classes and activities, view Website
- Family Tree Class: September 29 (Tuesday) - Class #1 9:30 a.m. This is a two week class (1 1/2 hours per week) and you must call and sign up for a seat reservation and receive a packet of instructions.
- Basic Computer Class: 1st Wednesday of each month beginning at 7:00 p.m. This class comes in a 3 part series: The 1st class is just learning computer jargon, and elementary movement around the computer. The 2nd class is still rudimentary, but learning how to create documents and files. The 3rd class is learning how to use a word processor more effectively.
- Our October Basic Computer #3 class will be held Wednesday September 30. We are holding it early because of scheduling conflicts. After this class, we will not hold the basic computer class until January 6th, 2016
- Decendancy/Puzzilla: October 1st (Thursday) 9:30 a.m.
- Family Tree Class #2: October 6th (Tuesday) 9:30 a.m.
- Closure of the Center: October 7th (Wednesday) ALL DAY!
- Fixing Photos: October 13th (Tuesday) 9:30 a.m. (Elementary Class learning how to use the program "Gimp" to patch up, erase, or re-do photographs.
- Roots Magic Data Base: October 14th (Wednesday) 1:00 p.m.
- Family Tree Class #1: October 14th (Wednesday) 7:00 p.m.
- Family Tree Class #2: October 21st (Wednesday) 7:00 p.m.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Our center has approx 1000 films on indefinite loan and 3 drawers of micro fiche.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- 26 computers, 2 High volume printers and a Scanner/copier, Flat bed scanner for scanning Pictures, Negatives & Slide, ScanSnap Scanner. Scans normal documents, pictures, and books. Scans much faster than the flatbed, Microfiche Reader 2 microfilm readers, Microfilm reader/scanner for printing or saving film images and 42" TV for Skype and daytime classes.
We are equipped to handle group visits of up to 15 people. Group leaders need to come into the FHC at least 2 weeks prior to the visit, and get a packet so that their group can be prepared for a successful visit. Please call Diana Guinn, 801-722-8269, to reserve a date and time for your visit.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
Hurricane Heritage Museum: This museum has histories, stories and pictures of the settling of the community of Hurricane, and surrounding communities. There are family histories there, and many books written for the purpose of explaining the history of Hurricane. It has some artifacts of pioneer vintage.
Volunteer at the Center
- For those who would like to serve a one year "Service Mission" or longer please call and pick up the information to give to your Bishop, or if you would just like to be a volunteer then call and we can set up an appointment.