Huron County, Ohio Genealogy
|Huron County, Ohio|
Location in the state of Ohio
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Created||February 7, 1809|
|Parent County||Portage and Cuyahoga|
|Address|| 2 East Main St
Norwalk, Ohio 44857
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1815- The area was created out of both Portage and Cuyahoga Counties. The region was part of the Western Reserve and would later be known more specifically as the Firelands Region.
See an interactive map of Huron County boundary changes. This area was first known as the Firelands region at is creation in 1815. The county of Huron covered up much wider area. The northern regions are now part of Erie and Ottawa counties. Ruggles township in the south is not part of Ashland County.
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- Civil War service men from Huron County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed with men from Huron County.
- - 1st Independent Battery, Ohio Light Artillery, a battery is like a company in an artillery regiment.
- - 24th Regiment, Ohio Infantry , Companies A and G
- - 41st Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies G and H
- - 107th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Company H
- - 123rd Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies B, C, and E
- - 166th Regiment, Ohio Infantry (National Guard), Companies B, C, and H
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Harriet Taylor Upton, History of the Western Reserve, Volume 1 (Chicago: The Lewis publishing company, 1910), 59.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Handybook" defined multiple times with different content