Hungary Jewish Research
|Jewish Genealogy Research Wiki Topics|
Hungary may refer to:
United States census records and arriving passenger lists often simply list the place of birth or origin as "Hungary" or "Austria" meaning the Kingdom of Hungary or Austria-Hungary. Careful research is needed to pinpoint the province and city/town.
To view a map showing the Austrian Empire and Austria-Hungary with the associated provinces, click here.
Jewish Research resources on the FamilySearch Wiki are organized primarily by the present-day country, and not by the former designations. If possible, determine the city/town of origin and then search under its present-day country.
Maps of Hungary
- To view the present-day Hungary at Google Maps, click here.
- For a Jewish population density map of Europe in 1900, click here.
Gazetteers of Hungary
- Use the JewishGen Communities Database by clicking here.
- Use the Hungarian Village Finder available from the Family History Library desktop:
- Select Databases at the Family History Library.
- Scroll down the page to the 14th CD Title.
- Click on the Hungarian Village Finder, Atlas, and Gazetteer link.
- At the detail level, this database identifies the location of Jewish congregations associated with the various cities and villages.
JewishGen.org Family Finder
Find others, possibly cousins, searching for your family name in the same countries, cities, and villages. Search the JewishGen Family Finder by clicking here. Free registration required.
Ashkenazi Amsterdam in the Eighteenth Century "Research of the family origins and heritage of Dutch Jewry (A.R.)"
- Learn more about available Jewish records by clicking here.
The JewishGen Hungary Database
- More than 360,000 records for Austria and the Czech Republic, from a variety of sources, including: cemetery data, Yizkor books, and Holocaust sources. Requires free registration. To search, click here.