Difference between revisions of "Humboldt County, Nevada Genealogy"
m (Relocated pic)
|Line 14:||Line 14:|
== History ==
== History ==
Revision as of 16:05, 2 August 2012
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
50 West 5th Street, Winnemucca NV 89445
Humboldt County is Nevada's oldest county, created by the Utah Territorial Legislature in 1856. It was also one of Nevada's original nine counties created in 1861. (Humboldt County Wikipedia entry)
1861--Humboldt County was created 25 November 1861 as an original county. County seat: Winnemucca 
|Denio Junction||Hot Springs||Raglan|
The following web sites have entries for people buried in Placer County. None have complete lists:
In the Family History Library Catalog Place Search on FamilySearch, for Humboldt, Nevada, look at the list of records for Cemeteries. Films can be sent to family history centers. Public libraries may have copies of the books or can obtain them through Interlibrary Loan.
Church records are usually found in the towns rather than on the county level. Search the Family History Library Catalog - Place Search for the appropriate town in Humboldt County.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
The County Clerk acts as clerk to the 6th Judicial District Court, maintains the court records for the District Court.
The County Recorder is responsible for recording, scanning/microfilming and indexing of Real Estate Transactions, Mining Claim Locations and Assessment Work, Contracts, Leases, Judgments, UCC/Fixture Filing Statements, Liens, Maps and other miscellaneous documents.
Google Books has books about the history and people in Nevada. Try various search terms, including the names of people. Books designated with "Full view" can be read online.
In the Family History Library Catalog Place Search on FamilySearch, for Humboldt County, Nevada, look at the list of records for History. Films can be sent to family history centers. Public libraries may have copies of the books or can obtain them through Interlibrary Loan.
For historical maps,search the following free sites:
• Historic Map Works can view some images for free, though this is a commercial site
Early migration routes to and from Humboldt County, Nevada Genealogy for emigrant settlers included:
In the Family History Library Catalog Place Search on FamilySearch, for Humboldt, Nevada, look at the list of records for Newspapers. Films can be sent to family history centers. Public libraries may have copies of the books or can obtain them through Interlibrary Loan.
The County Recorder is responsible for the recordaing, scanning/microfilming and indexing of marriage certificates,
651 marriages from 4 Jul 1862 to 4 Apr 1900 are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
Societies and Libraries
Humboldt County Library
85 East 5th Street
Winnumucca, NV 89445
Nevada State Genealogical Society
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 20666
Reno, NV 89515-0666
Nevada Historical Society
1650 North Virginia Street
Reno, NV 89503
Family History Centers
- The Humboldt GenWeb Project, a member of the NVGenWeb Project, an affiliate of the USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb project may have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 2 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "First Transcontinental Railroad" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Transcontinental_Railroad (accessed 2 August 2011).