Hudson County, New Jersey Genealogy
Hudson County, New Jersey genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, Revolutionary War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Hudson County, New Jersey|
Location in the state of New Jersey
Location of New Jersey in the U.S.
|County Seat||Jersey City|
|Address|| William J. Brennan Court House|
583 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07306
- 1 Hudson County, New Jersey Historical Facts
- 2 Hudson County, New Jersey Genealogical Resources
- 2.1 Bible
- 2.2 Cemeteries
- 2.3 Census
- 2.4 Church Records
- 2.5 Court Records
- 2.6 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.7 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.8 Gazetteers
- 2.9 Genealogy
- 2.10 Land and property
- 2.11 Maps
- 2.12 Migration
- 2.13 Military
- 2.14 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.15 Newspapers
- 2.16 Occupations
- 2.17 Periodicals
- 2.18 Poorhouse, Almshouse
- 2.19 Probate records
- 2.20 Repositories
- 2.21 Schools
- 2.22 Taxation
- 2.23 Vital records
- 3 Hudson County, New Jersey Websites
- 4 Hudson County, New Jersey Places
- 5 Hudson County, New Jersey Genealogy References
Hudson County, New Jersey Historical FactsAt the time of European contact in the 17th century, Hudson County was the territory the Lenape or Lenni-Lenape, namely the bands (or family groups) known as the Hackensack, the Tappan, the Raritan, and the Manhattan. They were a seasonally migrational people who practiced small-scale agriculture (companion planting) augmented by hunting and gathering which likely, given the topography of the area, included much (shell)fishing and trapping. These groups had early and frequent contact with the by Europeans, with whom they engaged in trade. Their Algonquian language can still be inferred in many local place names such as Communipaw, Harsimus, Hackensack, Hoboken, Weehawken, Secaucus, and Pamrapo.
Henry Hudson, for whom the county and river on which it sits is named, established a claim for the area in 1609 when anchoring his ship the Halve Maen (Half Moon) at Harsimus Cove and Weehawken Cove. The west bank of the North River (as it was called) and the cliffs, hills, and marshlands abutting and beyond it, were settled by Europeans (Dutch, Flemish, Walloon, Huguenot) from the Lowlands around the same time as New Amsterdam.
1852: part of Harrison twp. returned to Bergen County as Union twp.
1892: water boundary clarified.
Hudson County, New Jersey Genealogical Resources
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Hoboken Dist
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and property
Civil War service men in Hudson County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county.
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Bayonne Herald - full-text of more than 1800 issues spanning 1869-1915 freely available via Google Newspaper Archive
Obtaining Copies of County Probate Records
Copies of recorded probate records and the estate files can be obtained from the surrogate's offices for a fee. Addresses of surrogate's offices are found in:
- Eichholz, Alice, Editor. Ancestry's Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. Revised Edition. Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry, 1992. (Family History Library book 973 D27rb 1992.) Explains state-by-state history, vital records, census, background sources, periodicals, archives, libraries, societies, maps, land, probate, court, tax, cemetery, church, and military records. Includes county boundary map and table which shows when each county was created and the parent counties.
In addition, copies of the original wills, administrations, inventories, and guardianships sent to Trenton since 1901 can be ordered from:
Clerk of the Superior Court
Records Information Center
P.O. Box 967
Trenton, NJ 08625-0967
Phone: (609) 292-4978
Fax: (609) 777-0094
Family History Centers
- Afro-American Historical and Cultural Society Museum
- Ellis Island Immigration Museum
- Hoboken Historical Museum
Hudson County, New Jersey Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
Hudson County, New Jersey Places
Hudson County, New Jersey Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hudson County, New Jersey page 464, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.