How to Obtain Books Listed in the FamilySearch Catalog
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 18:02, 25 January 2016 by WarburtonKJ (removed bullet suggesting requesting a copy of the index or specific pages from photodup, since FamilySearch no longer offers this service.)
The Family History Library does not loan or sell books. If you want to obtain a book that is mentioned in the FamilySearch Catalog, we suggest the following options:
- Request an inter-library loan from your local public or academic library. Print out the FamilySearch Catalog’s page containing the title’s bibliographic information. Take the printout to your local public or academic library and complete a request for an inter-library loan. The Family History Library does not participate in the inter-library loan system but many libraries do.
- Order the book from a bookstore. Whether the book is in print or not, search the BookFinder4u website on the Internet at bookfinder4u.com where you can simultaneously search 80,000 booksellers worldwide for new, used, rare and out of print books.
- If the book was self-published by the author, contact the author. The author’s address will sometimes appear on the title page or verso in the front of the book. The local genealogical or historical society in the area where the author published the book may know how to contact the author.
- Request that the book be digitized. Books can be digitized if they are not currently copyrighted or if the library has copyright permission. The patron will be notified whether or not the book can be digitized. The library is no longer microfilming books. The process usually takes several months. You can e-mail a request for digitizing, with details about the book, to email@example.com Or, at your local family history center, complete Form 31806, Request to Microfilm a Book. The second copy of the request form will be filed at the local family history center. The third copy of the request form will be given to the patron.The family history center staff will mail the original copy of the form to:
- FamilySearch-Digital Book Team
50 E. North Temple, room 545
- Salt Lake City, UT 84150-0005
- See related article, "Buying, Borrowing or Searching a Book."