How to Find Tennessee Marriage Records
How To Find U.S. Marriage Records How To Find Tennessee Marriage Records
Finding Tennessee Marriage Records
- 1 April 1867, the county clerk began to forward marriage records to the secretary of state
- An additional 1905 law resulted in greater statewide compliance
- In 1911 Michigan law required statewide registration of marriages
- Michigan marriage records are not restricted and can be ordered by anyone during any time period
|More marriage information is usually found on the marriage license application or the marriage register. Less information is found on the marriage certificate.|
Next Step: When did the marriage occur?
Marriages Before 1780
- Marriage records were recorded when the county was created
- Before that time, you may find marriage information in other records.
|1. Look first in||2. Then search|
| Church Records
Marriages 1780 to 2002
|Marriage Indexes and Digital Images|
|Database Name - Index and Image||Link or links to access database||# of records|
|Ancestry, Marriages, 1780-2002||Free using Ancestryinstitution at FamilySearch Centers||$, Use your own Ancestry subscription||6,844,294|
|FamilySearch, Marriages, 1790-1950||On FamilySearch; free; INCOMPLETE for all counties and years||1,566,937|
|If you do not locate the marriage in the above, try:|
|Database Name-Index Only||Link or links to access database||# of records|
|FamilySearch, Marriage Index, 1780-2002||On FamilySearch; free;||3,331,399|
|FamilySearch, Marriage Index, 1796-1950||On FamilySearch; free;||1,674,368|
|Ancestry, Marriages, 1851-1900||Free using Ancestryinstitution at FamilySearch Centers||$, Use your own Ancestry subscription||292,425|
|Can't access Ancestry?||Visit your local Family History Center or your local public library.|
|No marriage record for your ancestor?|
Obtain the Record
|When ordering Virginia marriage records:|
For marriages after 1865, ask for the marriage license or the marriage register not the marriage certificate. The license or register usually contains more information.
PART A: You know the approximate or exact date and place of marriage from your records or the above indexes
| With date and place of marriage, |
order a copy of the marriage from one of the following:
|Option A:||Marriage Records on Microfilm||Some county marriage records may be available on microfilm at your local Family Search Center. If you know the county and approximate date where the marriage took place, use the Family History Library Catalog (FHLC) to see what is available.|
| Option B:
||Order from the County or City||
Order the marriage record for a fee from the county probate judge's offices in the county the marriage took place.
| Option C:
||Order from the State of Virginia||
Order the marriage record for a fee from the Virginia Office of Vital Records.
PART B: You don't know the exact date or place of marriage
Marriages After 2002 to Present
Marriage licenses may be found in the county records where the marriage occurred.
STEP ONE: Find Marriage Information
- Copies may be ordered from the county clerk.
- Copies may be ordered from the Michigan Department of Public Health.
|To Order Marriage Certificates|
|From County where Marriage occurred||From MI Dept. of Health State office|
|May be less expensive and faster than ordering from the state||County websites can be more difficult to use||Offers a search of the state index for an additional fee||May be more expensive than ordering from the county|
|When ordering Tennessee marriage records:|
Ask for the marriage license or the marriage register, not the marriage certificate. The license or register usually contains more information.
- Learn more about U.S. marriage records
- How to find U.S. birth records
- How to find U.S. marriage records
- How to find U.S. death records
- United States Record Selection Table
- United States, How to Use Marriage Records
- United States Marriage Records
- United States Vital Records
- U.S. Vital Records Overview
- Locating United States Vital Records
- Michigan Marriage Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known Issues