How to Find Connecticut Death Records
Death records in Connecticut were kept by the towns from the beginning of each town starting as early as the 1600s. Statewide registration of deaths began in 1897 in Connecticut and was generally complied with by 1915. The towns continue to record deaths.
Next Step: When did the death occur?
Choose a time period:
Deaths before 1897
The state of Connecticut started keeping death records in 1897. Before that time, town clerks kept death records, and they continue to keep the records. The clerks recorded the deaths in town records and/or in land records.
Step 1 - Check indexes
Most online resources for Connecticut Vital Records are indexes. After locating a person in an index, consult the original record to confirm the information in the index.
- Barbour Collection by Jane Devlin, hosted by Rootsweb - Free (see also the Wiki article Barbour Collection)
- Connecticut Databases listed on Rootsweb.com- Free. Arranged by town. Several cemetery lists, but only a few death lists are currently in the database.
Two film indexes are:
- Bowman Collection. This is a card index to Connecticut birth, marriage, and death notices in Massachusetts newspapers, 1800 to 1900. FHL films 002884-885.
- Index to the Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin, Vols 1-8.This is an index at the Connecticut State Library and is on microfilm at the Family History Library. FHL film 002886. It indexes the names found in the Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin. FHL book 974.6 H25c.
Step 2 - Check original records
In Connecticut, the following types of records often have death information:
- Land records
- Town records
Most of the land and town records have been filmed and are available through the FamilySearch site at family history centers, the Connecticut State Library, and the Family History Library.
To find the film numbers:
- Go to the FamilySearch Catalog
- Do a Place Search for the name of the town.
- On the list of record types for the town, click Land and Property, Vital Records, or Town Records for a list of the available records.
- Click titles with the town clerk as the author . Though the original records were usually made by town clerk, sometimes the records were made by a court or the registrar of vital statistics.
Step 3 - Check other types of records
You can also search substitute records to locate your ancestor’s death date and place.
|Records that give death information:|
Deaths from 1897 to the Present
- United States Social Security Death Index
- U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014 ($)
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007, incomplete, ($).
State registration of vital statistics began in 1897 and was generally complied with by 1915. For copies of state records, you can contact:
Department of Public Health
Vital Records Section
410 Capitol Avenue, 1st Floor
Hartford, CT 06134
CT Department of Public Health State Office of Vital Records
410 Capitol Ave. MS#11VRS
P.O. Box 340308
Hartford, CT 06134-0308
Their Website gives complete information for ordering births, marriages, and deaths. There is also a link to the town Websites for information in ordering town vital records.
To find current fees, any restrictions, and where to write, see:
- CDC.gov, Where to Write for Vital Records, Connecticut has information for births, deaths, marriages, and adoptions.
- VitalRec.com ($). Select a state to see the fees for birth, marriages, and deaths. There is also a link for divorces and adoptions.
Town Death Records
Towns have kept death records from the beginning of each town and continue to keep these records. The towns send copies of the records to the state Department of Public Health (see above). People can also access the records at the town halls.
See the Town Vital Records Directory for the address, phone number, and link for each town clerk.
Related Wiki Articles
- Connecticut, Deaths and Burials Index, 1650-1934, ($)
- Connecticut, Deaths and Burials, 1772-1934 Index.
- American Ancestors Connecticut Marriages and Deaths, 1792-1837 ($)
- Connecticut Town Death Records, pre-1870 (Barbour Collection) ($)
- Connecticut, Death Index, 1949-2001 Index.
- Connecticut Deaths, 1949-2010, ($). Index.