Open main menu

Houghton le Spring Poor Law Union, Durham Genealogy

History

An hospital originally founded by Bernard Gilpin, for six aged people, was rebuilt and endowed by George Lilburne, Esq., and the Rev. George Davenport, formerly rector of the parish; the buildings are situated near the grammar school, and consist of a centre and two wings, each containing two tenements. The union workhouse is a substantial stone building: the union comprises 15 townships in the parish, and the township of Silksworth in the adjoining parish of Bishop-Wearmouth, and contains a population of 16,067.

From: 'Houghton, Glass - Hove', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 562-566. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51049 Date accessed: 24 March 2011.

See also https://wearsideonline.com/heritage/history/page/4/ http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Durham/

For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and

Houghton Le Spring Workhouse

Parishes in the Union

Hetton le Hole, Durham Houghton le Spring, Durham Penshaw, Durham Rainton, Durham