Houghton County, Michigan Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 03:14, 14 February 2013 by AlphaAust (Added Info box and moved county information)
|Houghton County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||March 19, 1845|
|Address|| Houghton County Courthouse]|
401 E Houghton Ave.
Houghton, MI 49931
Phone: (906) 482-1150
Houghton County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1867,
marriage records from 1855, divorce and court records
from 1853, land records from 1847, naturalization records
from 1848 and military records.
Probate Judge has probate records. 
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Houghton County, Michigan page 346, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).