Hispanic Family History Resources
- 1 Portal: Hispanic Family History Resources (English)
Portal: Hispanic Family History Resources (English)
See this Portal in Spanish, click: Recursos de genealogía hispana
Records and Databases
Family Search has online digital records, searchable databases, and microfilm records for millions of people with Hispanic ancestors. Online digital Hispanic records are added almost weekly and are listed by country in FamilySearch Record Search. Online database record sets are searchable through FamilySearch > Advanced Search. Microfilm Hispanic civil and church records are listed by country in the Family History Library Catalog, and they may be ordered and viewed at a Family History Center near you.
- FamilySearch Record Search (click to see All online digital Hispanic records currently available)
- FamilySearch > Advanced Search (click to search for your Ancestors by database record sets)
Search for your Ancestors in All or any one of the following record sets: Ancestral File; Census; International Genealogical Index; Pedigree Resource File; US Social Security Death Index; Vital Records Index; and Family History Websites.
- http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitysearch&columns=*,0,0 Family History Library Catalog[dead link] (click to search by country for the microfilmed civil and church Hispanic records listed in the Catalog)
These microfilm records may be ordered and viewed at Family History Center near you.
Several websites are particularly useful for Hispanic genealogy research:
- PARES – Portal de Archivos Españoles
Search for ancestors in various archives of Spain.
Website is in Spanish.
- Blog de genealogía hispana - Hispanic Genealogy blog
Provides research tips, latest news, and links related to Hispanic genealogy.
Website is in English and Spanish.
- Mesa Arizona Regional Family History Center
Provides training aids and helps in Hispanic genealogy research with power point presentations, PDF files, and computer guides. Website is in English and Español.
Hispanic Genealogy Presentations
Training presentations from the Family History Library, including those from the 2007 Hispanic Genealogy Conference, are now available to view for free on the Internet either at the Library link or at Roots Television. To see a presentation from the list below, simply select it, and click the link. Roots Television videos are selected and clicked from the top tabs: "Hispanic Research Series at the FHL", or "Hispanic Roots TV".
1. Principios básicos para la investigación genealógica en Hispanoamérica (México)
(Basic Principles for genealogical research in Latin America (México)
Three short lessons are presented in Spanish: 1) Elementos fundamentales para la historia familiar; 2) Registros Parroquiales; and 3) Registro Civil.
2. Hispanic Roots Dr. George R. Ryskamp, AG, is interviewed by Sharon de Bartolo Carmack. The interview is presented in four parts. Presented in English.
3. Buscando ancestros Mexicanos en el Internet Topic includes how to research Mexican ancestors using web sites and resources on the Internet. Presenter: Lynn Turner, AG. Presented in Spanish.
4. Mexico: Genealogical Research Presenters are: Dr. George Ryskamp, AG, author of “Finding Your Mexican Ancestors,” and wife Peggy Ryskamp, CG. Presentations in Spanish.
5. Spanish Parish Records (Spanish Paleography) Presentation discusses how to read and understand Spanish records, including common phrases, basic rules to follow, common abbreviations, and helpful resources. Presenter: Lynn Turner, AG. Presented in English.
6. Spanish Municipal Archives Presentation discusses Hispanic research in Municipal archives. Presenter: Dr. George R. Ryskamp, AG, author of “Finding Your Mexican Ancestors.” Presented in English.
Help Near You
Find a Family History Center near your home. Local staff can offer you free personal help and access to many other services. Find a center.
PAF is free genealogy software that allows you to quickly and easily collect, organize, and share your family history information.
- How Do I Start?
Simple steps to begin your family history.
- How do I read old Spanish writing?
Expert guidance in deciphering Hispanic manuscripts and other old documents printed in old typefaces or written in old handwriting styles.
- FamilySearch Research Wiki
Provides up-to-date information on how to research sources for information about your ancestors shared by research experts and interested genealogists.
FamilySearch Forums now provides worldwide forums where you can search for answers, and ask questions about, your family history research, including forums in Latin America, Europe, North America and all countries of the world. You may also provide answers to others seeking information you may know. See forums in both English and Español.
Research Wiki articles:
FamilySearch Indexing – Hispanic Projects
FamilySearch Indexing is a volunteer-based effort to index billions of records from around the world. You can help make indexes freely available online for yourself and others. There are a number of Spanish language projects available. Find out more ....
LDS Church Service Resources
Priesthood Leadership and Family History Consultants registration Select English or Español.
For all priesthood leaders who oversee family history work, and for all Family History Consultants.