Hinsdale County, Colorado Genealogy
Guide to Hinsdale County Colorado genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hinsdale County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||January 9, 1852|
|County Seat||Lake City|
|Address|| Hinsdale County Courthouse|
317 N Henson Street
Lake City, CO 81235-0277
Hinsdale County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 2.1 County Seat
- 2.2 Parent County
- 2.3 Neighboring Counties
- 2.4 Record Loss
- 2.5 Resources
- 2.5.1 Bible Records
- 2.5.2 Biography
- 2.5.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.5.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5.5 Census
- 2.5.6 Church Records
- 2.5.7 Court Records
- 2.5.8 Directories
- 2.5.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.5.10 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.5.11 Gazetteers
- 2.5.12 Genealogy
- 2.5.13 History
- 2.5.14 Land and Property
- 2.5.15 Maps
- 2.5.16 Military
- 2.5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.5.18 Newspapers
- 2.5.19 Obituaries
- 2.5.20 Periodicals
- 2.5.21 Probate
- 2.5.22 Public Records
- 2.5.23 Repositories
- 2.5.24 Taxation
- 2.5.25 Vital Records
- 2.6 Places
- 2.7 References
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1875
County Court has divorce, probate and court records.
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Before 1861 the central part of this modern Colorado county east of the Continental Divide was in New Mexico.
- 9 January 1852 it was created part of Taos County in New Mexico Territory. 
- 28 February 1861 it was transferred to Colorado  (1 Nov 1861 Guadalupe County).
- 7 November 1861 the name was changed from Guadalupe County to Conejos County.
- Look for pre-1861 records in New Mexico. For further explanation see Taos County.
- 1874 Hinsdale County was created 10 February 1874 from Conejos County.
Business Records and Commerce
For tips on accessing Hinsdale County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Naturalization and Citizenship
Family History Centers
Hinsdale Library District/Lake City
221 Silver Street
Lake City, CO 81235
Hinsdale County Historical Society
Post Office Box 353
130 North Silver Street
Lake City, CO 81235
Web Site http://www.lakecitymuseum.com/Welcome.html
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 99, Hinsdale County, Colorado. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publ., 1987), 52. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- Brief County Histories (New Mexico) in RootsWeb (accessed 21 June 2012).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopeida at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Territory (accessed 19 June 2012).
- Adrian B. Ettlinger, AniMap 3.0 : with SiteFinder U.S. place name database (Alamo, Calif.: Gold Bug, 2008), Colorado 1861 map. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL CD-ROM no. 4903.
- Handybook, 97, Conejos County, Colorado, and 99, Guadalupe County, Colorado.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Guadalupe County, Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalupe_County,_Colorado_Territory (accessed 23 June 2012).