Hinsdale County, Colorado Genealogy
|Hinsdale County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||January 9, 1852|
|County Seat||Lake City|
|Address|| Hinsdale County Courthouse|
317 N Henson Street
Lake City, CO 81235-0277
Hinsdale County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 1.1 Brief History
- 1.2 Places / Localities
- 1.3 Resources
- 1.4 Repositories
- 1.5 References
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1875
County Court has divorce, probate and court records.
- Before 1861 the central part of this modern Colorado county east of the Continental Divide was in New Mexico.
- 9 January 1852 it was created part of Taos County in New Mexico Territory. 
- 28 February 1861 it was transferred to Colorado  (1 Nov 1861 Guadalupe County).
- 7 November 1861 the name was changed from Guadalupe County to Conejos County.
- Look for pre-1861 records in New Mexico. For further explanation see Taos County.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Hinsdale County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Land and Property
Societies and Libraries
Hinsdale Library District/Lake City
221 Silver Street
Lake City, CO 81235
Hinsdale County Historical Society
Post Office Box 353
130 North Silver Street
Lake City, CO 81235
Web Site http://www.lakecitymuseum.com/Welcome.html
Family History Centers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 99, Hinsdale County, Colorado. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publ., 1987), 52. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- Brief County Histories (New Mexico) in RootsWeb (accessed 21 June 2012).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopeida at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Territory (accessed 19 June 2012).
- Adrian B. Ettlinger, AniMap 3.0 : with SiteFinder U.S. place name database (Alamo, Calif.: Gold Bug, 2008), Colorado 1861 map. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL CD-ROM no. 4903.
- Handybook, 97, Conejos County, Colorado, and 99, Guadalupe County, Colorado.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Guadalupe County, Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalupe_County,_Colorado_Territory (accessed 23 June 2012).