Difference between revisions of "Hillingdon St Andrew, Middlesex Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(template)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Middlesex]]  
+
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Middlesex]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Middlesex Parishes]]  
== Parish History ==
+
 
Contributor: Add a general overview of the history of this parish. It can be a few sentences or a couple of paragraphs.<br>  
+
== Parish History<br> ==
== Resources  ==
+
 
 +
HILLINGDON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Uxbridge district, Middlesex. The village stands near the Uxbridge railway, the Grand Junction canal, the river Colne, and the boundary with Bucks, 1 mile SE of Uxbridge; was known, at Domesday, as Hillendone; and has a post office under Uxbridge, and a policestation.-The parish contains also the town and township of Uxbridge, the villages of Yiewsley and Colham, and the hamlets of Gould-Green, Peel-Hatch, ColhamGreen, Long Atter, and Hockley Hole; and a detached part of it is encompassed by Ickenham parish. Acres, 4, 720. Real property, £32, 230; of which £200 are in the canal, and £250 in gas works. Pop. in 1851, 9, 588; in 1861, 10, 758. Houses, 2, 052. Pop., exclusive of Uxbridge, in 1851, 6, 352; in 1861, 7, 522. Houses, 1, 424. The increase of pop. arose partly from the erection of barracks. The Uxbridge workhouse is in ColhamGreen; and, at the census of 1861, had 211 inmates. Moorcroft lunatic asylum is in Gould-Green; and, at the census, had 61 inmates. The manor belonged to Roger de Montgomery; passed to the Salisburys, the Lacies, the Stranges, and the Stanleys; and belongs now to the De Burghs. The old manor house has been demolished. An old rectory-house, now extinct, was used by the Bishops of Worcester, who had the rectorial titles. Hillingdon Park, or Little London, belonged to Count de Salis. Cedar House was the seat of Reynardson, the naturalist; and took its name from a cedar tree which, in 1779, measured from 12½ to nearly 16 feet in the girth of its stem, and from 89 to 96 feet in the diameter of its head. Other chief residences are Hillingdon House, H. Court, H. Place, H. Grove, Little H. and Dawley Court. Charles I. halted here, in 1646, on his way to the Scottish army. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £489.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is later English, in good condition; stands on a commanding eminence at the village; figures conspicuously over many miles; and contains a few brasses and two fine monuments. A chapel of ease, built in 1859, is in Yiewsley. '''A section of the parish, with a pop. of about 2,500, was constituted a separate charge in 1865, a vicarage, with income of £230, * in the patronage of the Bishop of London. The church for it bears the name of St. Andrew's; was built, in 1865, at a cost of £7,700; is of yellow brick, with red brick in patterns; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and lofty shingle spire.''' The p[urpetual additional church] curacies of Uxbridge and Uxbridge-Moor also are separate benefices [which see]. There are national and British schools, and charities £878.-The sub-district includes also Cowley and West Drayton parishes, but excludes Uxbridge township. Acres, 5, 870. Pop., 8, 844. Houses, 1, 681.  
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))<br>Resources
 +
 
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
 
==== Civil Registration  ====
 +
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The [[England Civil Registration|civil registration]] article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 +
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
 +
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 +
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
 +
 
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.  
 
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.  
 +
 
==== Probate records  ====
 
==== Probate records  ====
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Middlesex Probate Records| Middlesex Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
+
 
 +
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Middlesex Probate Records|Middlesex Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 +
 
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers  ==
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
+
 
 +
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
 +
 
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 +
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
 +
 
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
[[Category:England]] [[Category: Middlesex]]
+
 
 +
[[Category:England]] [[Category:Middlesex]]

Revision as of 20:12, 27 April 2010

England  Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Gotoarrow.png  Middlesex Parishes

Parish History

HILLINGDON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Uxbridge district, Middlesex. The village stands near the Uxbridge railway, the Grand Junction canal, the river Colne, and the boundary with Bucks, 1 mile SE of Uxbridge; was known, at Domesday, as Hillendone; and has a post office under Uxbridge, and a policestation.-The parish contains also the town and township of Uxbridge, the villages of Yiewsley and Colham, and the hamlets of Gould-Green, Peel-Hatch, ColhamGreen, Long Atter, and Hockley Hole; and a detached part of it is encompassed by Ickenham parish. Acres, 4, 720. Real property, £32, 230; of which £200 are in the canal, and £250 in gas works. Pop. in 1851, 9, 588; in 1861, 10, 758. Houses, 2, 052. Pop., exclusive of Uxbridge, in 1851, 6, 352; in 1861, 7, 522. Houses, 1, 424. The increase of pop. arose partly from the erection of barracks. The Uxbridge workhouse is in ColhamGreen; and, at the census of 1861, had 211 inmates. Moorcroft lunatic asylum is in Gould-Green; and, at the census, had 61 inmates. The manor belonged to Roger de Montgomery; passed to the Salisburys, the Lacies, the Stranges, and the Stanleys; and belongs now to the De Burghs. The old manor house has been demolished. An old rectory-house, now extinct, was used by the Bishops of Worcester, who had the rectorial titles. Hillingdon Park, or Little London, belonged to Count de Salis. Cedar House was the seat of Reynardson, the naturalist; and took its name from a cedar tree which, in 1779, measured from 12½ to nearly 16 feet in the girth of its stem, and from 89 to 96 feet in the diameter of its head. Other chief residences are Hillingdon House, H. Court, H. Place, H. Grove, Little H. and Dawley Court. Charles I. halted here, in 1646, on his way to the Scottish army. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £489.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is later English, in good condition; stands on a commanding eminence at the village; figures conspicuously over many miles; and contains a few brasses and two fine monuments. A chapel of ease, built in 1859, is in Yiewsley. A section of the parish, with a pop. of about 2,500, was constituted a separate charge in 1865, a vicarage, with income of £230, * in the patronage of the Bishop of London. The church for it bears the name of St. Andrew's; was built, in 1865, at a cost of £7,700; is of yellow brick, with red brick in patterns; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and lofty shingle spire. The p[urpetual additional church] curacies of Uxbridge and Uxbridge-Moor also are separate benefices [which see]. There are national and British schools, and charities £878.-The sub-district includes also Cowley and West Drayton parishes, but excludes Uxbridge township. Acres, 5, 870. Pop., 8, 844. Houses, 1, 681.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.