Hill County, Texas Genealogy
Template:Texas-stub United States Texas Counties H Hill County
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseHill County Courthouse was completed in 1890 built of white Limestone, by the architect W. C. Dodson. It was designated at a Texas Historical Landmark in 1971 and is located in Hillsboro, Texas. The Courthouse was almost totally destroyed by fire in 1993, all that was left standing was the four limestone walls and the Iron Staircases. It has been completely restored by the residents and elected officials during the late 1990's.
Settlements occured after the establishment of Fort Graham in 1848.
1872--The Hill County Courthouse caught fire on 18 Sept 1872. Many county records were destroyed.
1993--The Hill County Courthouse, built in 1890, caught fire on 1 Jan 1993, destroying most of the building.
Places / Localities
Cities and Towns:
- Abbott | Abbott in Handbook of Texas | Wikipedia page
- Aquilla | Wikipedia page | Aquilla Lake Wikipedia page
- Birome (unincorporated) | Wikipedia page
- Blum | Blum | Wikipedia page
- Brandon (unincorporated) | Wikipedia page
- Bynum | Wikipedia page
- Carl's Corner | Wikipedia page
- Covington | Wikipedia page
- Hillsboro (county seat) | Hillsboro | Convention & Visitors Bureau | official city site | Wikipedia page
- Hubbard | Wikipedia page
- Irene (unincorporated) | Irene in Handbook of Texas | Irene history in Texas Escapes | Wikipedia page
- Itasca | Itasca | town website | Wikipedia page
- Malone | Wikipedia page
- Mertens | Wikipedia page
- Mount Calm | Mount Calm | Wikipedia page
- Penelope | town website | Wikipedia page
- Peoria (unincorporated)
- Whitney | Wikipedia page
- Hill County Records Available on Microfilm from Baylor University (Texas State Library & Archives)
- Atchison, Mrs. Joe. Peoria Cemetery 1826-1978; Hill County, Texas. Waco, TX: Self-published, 1979. Peoria Cemetery 1826 - 1978
- Cemeteries (Hill County) (Linkpendium)
- Cemeteries of Hill County, Texas (Cemeteries of Texas Project)
- Cemetery Index (Hill County Genealogical Society)
- Hill County Archives: Cemeteries (U.S. GenWeb Archives)
- Hill County, Texas Cemeteries (Cathy Shelley)
- Hill County, Texas Cemeteries (Historic Texas Cemeteries)
- Hill County, Texas Cemetery Records (Interment.net)
- Mount Calm Cemeteries: The town of Mount Calm is located in Hill County, and the Mount Calm Cemetery is located about 3/4 miles southwest of town (map). An older Mount Calm cemetery is located about 1-3/4 miles south of town in Limestone County, near the original location of the town, which was picked up and moved north when the railroad came through (map).
- Peoria Cemetery: See Atchison, Mrs. Joe, above.
- Simmons Cemetery: The Forgotten Cemetery (Cathy Shelley)
- Thompson, K., and B. Thedford, Hill County Texas Cemeteries. Moore, OK: Self-published, 1995?. | WorldCat page
- Census Records and Indexes (Hill County) (Linkpendium)
- Hill County Archives: Census Records (U.S. GenWeb Archives)
- Hill County Archives: Court Records (U.S. GenWeb Archives)
- Deed records on microfilm at FHL: Land and property deeds with index 1853 - 1901
- Hill County, Texas Original Land Owners (U.S. GenWeb Archives)
- Hill County, Texas Miscellaneous Deeds (U.S. GenWeb Archives)
- Bailey, Ellis, A History of Hill County, Texas, 1838-1965
- Daniel, J.C. A History of the Baptists of Hill County, Texas. 1907.
- The Heritage of Hill County, Texas, Vol. 2. Lexington, KY: Heritage Publishing, 2010 | WorldCat page
- A History of Hill County, Texas, 1853-1980. Hill County Historical Commission, 1980.
- Kirkpatrick, A.Y. The Early Settlers' Life in Texas, and the Organization of Hill County. 1963.
- A Memorial and Biographical History of Johnson and Hill Counties, Texas: Containing the Early History of this Important Section of the Great State of Texas Together with Glimpses of its Future Prospects... Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1892. | digital copy of Vol. 1 in Internet Archive | Google Books page (no preview)
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
Current State of Texas Map of Counties
- Confederate Reunion (Cathy Shelley)
- Hill County, Texas Confederate Pension Applications (U.S. GenWeb Archives)
World War I
- Military Discharges (WWI) (Cathy Shelley)
- Bessire, Royal C. Obituaries Hill County, Texas: 1886 to 1900. Hewitt, TX: Self-published, 2006. | WorldCat page
- Funeral Announcements (Cathy Shelley)
- Hill County Archives: Obituaries (U.S. GenWeb Archives)
- Hill County, Texas Obituaries (Cathy Shelley)
- The Hillsboro Reporter
- Just the News - Surnames (Cathy Shelley)
Probate minutes 1853 to 1934 with index
Texas county tax rolls, 1846-1910, by the Texas Comptrollers Office
- Hill County, Texas, marriage records, 1873-1934; index, 1873-1941
- Hill County, Texas Marriage Records A (CensusDiggins.com)
- Hill County, Texas Marriages A to Z, Part 1 (Cathy Shelley)
- Hill County, Texas Marriages Z to Z, Part 2 (Cathy Shelley)
- Death records, 1903-1956
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- Family History Library Catalog
- Hill County, Texas (Handbook of Texas)
- Hill County, Texas (official site)
- Hill County, Texas (RootsWeb)
- Hill County, Texas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Hill County, Texas Genealogy Data (Cathy Shelley)
- Hill County, Texas Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- Hill County, Texas GenWeb (currently appears to contain no content)
- Hill County, Texas USGenWeb Archives
- Profile for Hill County, Texas (includes genealogy; ePodunk)
- Texas GenWeb: May have maps, name indices, history or other information for Hill County.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com - Hillsboro, TX Hill County Courthouse Fire, Sept 1872 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/17827/hillsboro-tx-hill-county-courthouse-fire-sept-1872