Herkimer County, New York Genealogy
This page describes sources of genealogical data about Herkimer County, New York Genealogy families, including links to smaller localities at the bottom of this page. New York-related pages show useful statewide sources. United States pages explain the terminology and contents of genealogical records.
|Herkimer County, New York|
Location in the state of New York
Location of New York in the U.S.
|Founded||February 16, 1791|
|County Seat||Herkimer (village)|
|Address||109 Mary Street|
Herkimer, NY 13350
Herkimer County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.3 Cemeteries
- 2.4 Census
- 2.5 Church Records
- 2.6 Court Records
- 2.7 Crime and Criminals
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogy
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Migration
- 2.16 Military
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Probate Records
- 2.21 Repositories
- 2.22 Taxation
- 2.23 Town Records
- 2.24 Vital Records
- 2.25 Voting Registers
- 3 Places
- 4 Websites
- 5 References
Historical Facts[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Three partitions over the years set off these counties:
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
Business Records and Commerce[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Census[edit | edit source]
For information and tips on using and accessing online census records, see New York Census.
Federal[edit | edit source]
State[edit | edit source]
|Family History Library||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|FamilySearch Historical Records||-||-||-||-||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||-||-|
|New York State Library||-||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Court Records[edit | edit source]
Crime and Criminals[edit | edit source]
Directories[edit | edit source]
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Genealogy[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Land and Property[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Migration[edit | edit source]
Early migration routes to and from Herkimer County for European settlers included:
Military[edit | edit source]
Civil War service men from Herkimer County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were formed in Herkimer County.
- - 115th Regiment, New York Infantry, Company A and K
- - 121st Regiment, New York Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, G, H, I
- - 152nd Regiment, New York Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, I and K
- - 153rd Regiment, New York Infantry: Company B
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
SAMPUBCO Browsable index of testators of wills.
Repositories[edit | edit source]
Archives, Libraries and Museums[edit | edit source]
Frank J. Basloe Public Library
245 N. Main Street
Herkimer, NY 13350
Online obituary index. The Evelyn Dexter Arthur Collection is housed in th the Basloe Genealogy Room. The collection includes local files,historical maps, city directories, and the Herkimer Evening Telegraph newspaper on microfilm 1945-present. Ancestry and HeritageQuest are available.
Ilion Free Public Library
78 West Street
Ilion, New York 13357
Local history room. Call ahead to confirm schedule.
318 Margaret St.
Herkimer, NY 13350
ph: (315) 866-1398
Courthouses[edit | edit source]
The Herkimer County Clerk's office has marriage, divorce, court and land records. The Surrogate Court has probate records. For further information about where the records for Herkimer County are held, see the Herkimer County Courthouse page.
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Societies[edit | edit source]
Herkimer County Historical Society
400 North Main Street
Herkimer, New York 13350
The society houses a genealogy collection including directories, biographies, cemetery files, local newspapers, family genealogies,and a will index. The society has a research fee policy listed on their website.
Little Falls Historical Society
319 South Ann Street
Little Falls, NY 13365
- Member queries, surname research list, online resources, publications, six meetings/year.
- Counties served: Albany, Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Cortland, Delaware, Erie, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Genesee, Greene, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Livingston, Madison, Monroe, Montgomery, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Orange, Oreleans, Oswego, Otsego, Rensselaer, St. Lawrence, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins, Washington, Wayne, Warren, Wyoming, and Yates.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Town Records[edit source]
Town records in New York may include early births, marriages, deaths, divorces, local histories, selected military records, and town meeting minutes. Vital records from 1880/1882 are kept by town and village clerks, although some (Kent’s and Putnam Valley’s) are available in the County Historian’s Office. For further details, try the links to individual town Wiki pages found in Places. See also:
- Gordon L. Remington, New York Towns, Villages, and Cities: A Guide to Genealogical Sources (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2002). NEHGS online edition; At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974.7 D27r. Alphabetical list including date founded, if a town history exists, church and cemetery sources, and if a Civil War register (TCR) exists.
- Journal of the Proceedings of the Board of Supervisors of Putnam County for the Year 1904 (New York: Martin B. Brown, 1905)
- Journal of the Proceedings of the Board of Supervisors of Putnam County for the Year 1922 (Poughkeepsie: Lansing Broas, 1923)
- List of Town Clerks, Record Managers and Historical Societies
The County Archives has the following records:
- 031 Petitions, Licenses, and recognizance to sell liquor (Tavern licenses) 1813-1878
- 139 Monthly Reports of Hunting and fishing licenses, 1908-1938
- 165 Certificates of Qualifications as Examiner in Lunacy, 1883-1947
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Birth[edit | edit source]
Marriage[edit | edit source]
Death[edit | edit source]
Divorce[edit | edit source]
Voting Registers[edit | edit source]
Places[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- The Herkimer County NYGenWeb Project, an member of The NYGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Herkimer County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Herkimer County. (Back up site)
References[edit | edit source]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 489. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook, 847-61.
- Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912). Internet Archive digital copy; At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Film 1486494-96; Fiche 6083559-64; Book 974.7 M2p.
- Central New York Genealogical Society at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nycnygs/index.htm (accessed 1 November 2011).
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.