Henry County, Virginia Genealogy
Southwest Virginia county.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Church
- 4.5 Court
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Migration
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Petitions
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Research Guides
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
The county was named after Virginia Governor Patrick Henry (1736-1799).
- Lost censuses: 1790, 1800, 1890
The John B. Harris Collection (African American) at Bassett Historical Center (see Societies and Libraries) includes the following resources:
- "African-American Census Records, 1870-1910, Henry County, Virginia"
- "Afro-American Marriages of Henry County, Virginia"
- "Henry County Cohabitation List"
- Extensive list of obituaries 1950s-1995
Other Henry County African American resources include:
- Heinegg, Paul. "Henry County Personal Property Tax List, 1782-1814," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
- Kegley, Mary B. Free People of Colour: Free Negroes, Indians, Portuguese and Freed Slaves. Wytheville, Virginia: Kegley Books, 2003. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives. [Includes information from Henry County.]
- Tombstone Transcription Project Henry County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing census records online, see Virginia Census.
1790 - Lost, but a subsitute is available, see Taxation.
1800 - Lost, but a subsitute is available, see Taxation.
1810 - Lost, but a subsitute is available, see Taxation.
- Simmons, Don. Henry County, Virginia Census of 1830. 1976. Digital version at World Vital Records ($).
- Douthat, James L. 1840 Mountain Empire of Virginia Census. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2001. FHL Collection 975.5 X2d 1840. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website. [Includes Henry County.]
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
- Thompson, Stella Pocahontas Anthony and Bever Creek Church. Copy of the History of Bever Creek Church, 1786, Henry County, Virginia. Columbia, Mo.: Thompson, 1933. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($).
Church of England
- Indexes (1783-1946) and images (1783-1931) to Henry County, Virginia Chancery Records 1755-1912 are available online through Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index. These records, often concerned with inheritance disputes, contain a wealth of genealogical information.
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Allen] Martin, John R. Your Family and Mine: The Descendants of William Allen and Martha C. Jones. 2 vols. St. Joseph, Mo.: J.R. Martin, 1956-57. FHL Book 929.273 AL53m
- [Burns] Burns, Alice Burpo. Burns Family History. Martinsville, Ind.?: A.F.B. Burns, 1970s. FHL Film 1502577 Item 10.
- [Carter] McQuinn, Gloria Garvey.Johnston-Menefee and Related Families. McLean, Va.: G.N.G. McQuinn, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 J641m.
- [Charles] Smith, Sybil Roberts. The Charles Branch of My Sunshine Tree. Grove, Okla.: S.R. Smith, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 C38s.
- [Clifton] Wright, Nell M. Our Clifton Ancestors (and Their Descendants). Chillicothe, Ohio: N.M. Wright, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 C613w.
- [Clifton] Clifton, Robert P. A Rebuttal and Analysis of "Our Clifton Ancestors" Published by Nell Marie Wright, 1982. Sun City, Ariz.: R.P. Clifton, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 C613cL.
- [Coger] Coger, D. Stephan. The Coger Family: A Few Genealogical Notes. Danville, Ark.: D.S. Coger, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 C655c.
- [Cooper] Blair, Alexander. Genealogical Chart: Anthony, Cooper, Stovall, Nisbet. MSS. Copy: FHL Films 288404-288405.
- [East] Cross, Mary E. Alexander and Elizabeth Cross Brotherton. East Family from Henry County, Virginia, and Franklins County, Alabama. Typescript, microfilmed 1978. FHL Collection 1027881 Item 1
- [Estes] McAllister, Edward Nevill and Annabelle C. McAllister. Estes Genealogy: Estes Families of Old Clay County, Missouri, Their Ancestors and Their Descendants. n.p.: A.C. McAllister, 1972. FHL Book 929.273 Es85m.
- [France] Styles, Marshall L. John W. Colley of Wilkes County, Georgia: A Soldier in the Revolution from Mecklenburg County, Virginia: Two Hundred Fifty-Six Years of His Descendants in Northeastern Georgia and Destinations Westward from 1752. Simpsonville, S.C.: M.L. Styles, 2008. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL CD-ROM no. 5039.
- [Fuson] Ferguson, Sylvia Cecilia Fuson. The Virginia-Ohio Fusons: A Geneological [sic] History of the Virginia-Ohio Branch of the Fuson Family in America. Oxford, Ohio: Oxford Press, 1939. FHL Film 1321200 Item 10; 1979 reprint has been digitized: Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 F986f 1979.
- [Gowan] Daniels, Jeanette K.B. The Gowan Family. Salt Lake City, Utah: J.K.B. Daniels, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 G747d.
- [Gravely] Fales, Ella R. Research on the Families of Richardson, Stultz, Gravely, Henry County, Virginia. Typescript, 1959. FHL Collection 873456 Item 4
- [Grimmett] Price, David L. The Grimmetts of Virginia of the Revolutionary War Era and Their Descendents. Brentwood, Tenn.: D.L. Price, 1980. FHL Film 1035992 Item 10.
- [Grimmett] Brown, Elois Elizabeth Renfro. Genealogy of the Grimmett Family, Concerning the Lineage of Mrs. Paul Brown (Eloise Renfro). Salem, Mass.: Higginson, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 G883b.
- [Hale] Shepard, Clarence E. Head O'Lickin' and There Abouts. 2 vols. Dayton, Ohio: C.E. Shepard, 1998. FHL Book 929.273 H13sc v. 1.
- [Hardy] Hardy, Barbara L. The Story of John and Sarah Pedigo Hardy of Henry County, Virginia and Habersham County, Georgia: Their Family and Descendants. Decatur, Ga.: B. Hardy, 1984. FHL Collection 929.273 H222hb
- [Haynes] Haynes: Family Genealogical Data, 1701-1964. MSS., Ripley County Historical Museum, Versailles, Ind. Microfilmed 1982: FHL Film 1312800 Item 22.
- [Hodges] Patton, Juanita M. The Family of Isham and Betsy Hodges from Virginia to Tennessee. Nashville, Tenn.: J.M. Patton, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 H665p.
- [Hord] Gay, Charles Edward. "Other Carrs: William Carr and His Family. Part II - The Progeny," Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and Genealogy, Vol. 10, No. 4 (February/March 2002):209-225. FHL Collection 975.51 D25t
- [Jones] Jones Family Records, ca. 1700-1988. 1988. FHL Book 929.273 J71jon.
- [Kimzey] Kimzey, Herbert Bennett. Kimzey and Kimsey Family Records: Benjamin Kimzey and Three Hundred of His Descendants; James Kimzey and Some of His Descendants; from Augusta and Henry countys [sic] Virginia, to North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri and Oregon. Microfilmed 1974. FHL Collection 288187
- [Kimzey] Neville - Kimzey, ca. 1640-1952. MSS., Pickneyville, Ill. Microfilmed 1974: FHL Film 975738 Item 7.
- [McCall] McCall, James L. The McCall Family in Ireland and America. Morgantown, N.C.: J.L. McCall, 1950s. FHL Book 929.273 M124mjL.
- [McCullough] Rushing, William Randolph. The Descendants of Alexander McCullough of Henry County, Virginia. Jacksonville, Fla.: W. Rushing, 1983. FHL Collection 929.273 M139rw
- [Martin] Pyrtle, E. Ruth. Early Virginia Families: Pyrtle, Davis, Turner, Martin. Lincoln, Neb.: E.R. Pyrtle, 1930. FHL Film 1321284 Item 4.
- [Mayo] Harter, Mrs. Bert. "James Mayo (1711-1776) of Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 7, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1963):51-64. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 7 (1963).
- [Menefee] McQuinn, Gloria Garvey. Johnston-Menefee and Related Families. McLean, Va.: G.N.G. McQuinn, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 J641m.
- [Morris] Clark, Galilee Smith. Morrises of Henry County, Va., 1773-1973. Typescript, microfilmed 1990. FHL Collection 1320996 Item 14
- [Nunn] Nunn, Charles G. and Henry L. Nunn. The Nunn Family: A Short Sketch of John Milton Nunn & Sallie Heiston Nunn. n.p.: C.G. Nunn, 1939. FHL Book 929.273 N923ncg.
- [Nunn] Smith, O. Norris. The Nunns of XVIIIth Century Virginia with Roster of 1300 Descendants of the Henry County Clan. Greensboro, N.C.: O.N. Smith, 1984. FHL Collection 929.273 N923s
- [Potter] Potter, Maud. A Family History: Potter, Kirby, Tarrant, Johnson. San Diego, Calif.: n.p., 1961. FHL Book 929.273 P851pm.
- [Prather] Lewis, Olan R. The Thomas Prather Family. Lakeport, Calif.: O.R. Lewis, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 5324.
- [Prillaman] Rogers, Ellen Stanley and Norris Prillaman Miller. The Prillaman Family: An Account of the Descendants of Jacob Prillaman, Sr. (1721-1796) of Franklin County, Virginia. Martinsville, Va.: N.P. Miller, 1980. FHL Book 929.273 P934r 1980.
- [Pritchett] Pritchett, Carr W. Pritchett and Allied Families, ca. 1740-1972. MSS., Warren County Historical Museum, Warrenton, Mo. Microfilmed 1988: FHL Film 1547664 Item 5.
- [Pyrtle] Pyrtle, E. Ruth. Early Virginia Families: Pyrtle, Davis, Turner, Martin. Lincoln, Neb.: E.R. Pyrtle, 1930. FHL Film 1321284 Item 4.
- [Rainey] Rainey, Ralph E. Wallace A. Rainey and Jessie I. Ringer, Their Ancestors, Descendants and Allied Families. Utica, Ky.: McDowell Publications, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 R135rr.
- [Ralph] Ralph, Charles L. The Ralph Family of Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee and the Smith Family of Iowa. Ft. Collins, Colo.: Golden Spectrum, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 R139rc.
- [Richardson] Fales, Ella R. Research on the Families of Richardson, Stultz, Gravely, Henry County, Virginia. Typescript, 1959. FHL Film 873456 Item 4
- [Strong] Jones, Mrs. Miller Gibson, Mollie Pryor Strong, and Hariet Bailie Bullock Daniel. Strong Family, Virginia - Tennessee - Arkansas. Typescript. Microfilmed 1976: FHL Film 1010142.
- [Stultz] Fales, Ella R. Research on the Families of Richardson, Stultz, Gravely, Henry County, Virginia. Typescript, 1959. FHL Film 873456 Item 4
- [Richardson] Locke, Bruce Whitmore. Family Group Sheets Taken from the Manuscript, "Richardsons of Henry County, Virginia". Typescript, 1990. FHL Collection 1682968 Item 3
- [Shumate] Shumate, John James and Molly Alice Zagami Shumate. From Whence We Came; a History of the Shumate's [sic] of Henry/Pittsylvania Counties, Va. [Lynchburg, Va.] : J.J. Shumate, 1995. FHL Collection 929.273 Sh92sjj
- [Spratling] Wattenbarger, Marion S. "James Spratling and His Wife, Winifred (Munday) Caroline and Henry Counties and Wilkes County, Georgia," Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and Genealogy, Vol. 6, No. 1 (May/June 1997):30-38. FHL Collection 975.51 D25t
- [Taylor] Byars, Neva Fern Young. Some George Taylors of Henry County, Virginia, and Giles County, Tennessee. Albuquerque, N.M.: N.F.Y. Byars, 1978. FHL Collection 929.273 T214b
- [Taylor] Blomquist, Ann K. Taylors and Tates of the South. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, 1993. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 T212ba.
- [Turner] Pyrtle, E. Ruth. Early Virginia Families: Pyrtle, Davis, Turner, Martin. Lincoln, Neb.: E.R. Pyrtle, 1930. FHL Film 1321284 Item 4.
- [Wallin] Heflin, Donald L. The Wanderin' Wallins from Henry County, Virginia, to Rockcastle County, Kentucky. Georgetown, Ky.: D.L. Heflin, 1994. FHL Collection 929.273 W158h
- [Webb] Lansford, Delores Caylor. Webb Family History. Orange Park, Fla.: P & D Publications, 1993, c1992. FHL Book 929.273 W381L 1993.
- [Witt] Fisher, William Scott and Julieann Witt Fisher. Tales of Witt: The Lives and Times of Our Witt Family Ancestors. Fruit Heights, Utah: W.S. Fisher, 1996. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 W783f.
- Hill, Judith Parks America. A History of Henry County, Virginia: With Biographical Sketches of Its Most Prominent Citizens and Genealogical Histories of Half a Hundred of Its Oldest Families. unknown: unknown, 1925. Available at FHL [2 copies]; digital version at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- Pedigo, Virginia G. History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia. Roanoke, Va.: Stone Printing and Manufacturing Co., 1933. Original edition and 1977 reprint available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- Clay, Robert Y. "Some Delinquent Taxpayers 1787-1790," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 20, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1976):199-208. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($). [These records identify migrants who left the county and often their intended destinations. Henry County's 1786 and 1790 Delinquent Lists appear on pp. 128-129.]
- Elliott, Katherine B. Emigration to Other States from Southside Virginia. 2 vols. South Hill, Virginia: K.B. Elliott, 1966. Vol. 1 of original edition available at FHL; 1983 reprints (both volumes) available at FHL; 1990-1992 reprints (both volumes) also available at FHL. [Includes individuals who migrated out of Henry County to other parts of the country.]
French and Indian War
- Bockstruck, Lloyd DeWitt. Virginia's Colonial Soldiers. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1988. Available at FHL. [Identifies some Henry County veterans; see place name index.]
The following unit rosters of Henry County residents in the Revolutionary War are available for free online, courtesy: Southern Campaigns of the American Revolution:
- "Payrolls of the Militia Company of Capt. Daniel Carlin, Henry County, Virginia, in 1779 and 1781," transcribed and annotated by C. Leon Harris.
- "Henry County, Virginia, Continental Soldiers Recruited by Act of October 1780," transcribed and annotated by C. Leon Harris.
- "Militia List - Capt. Jonathan Hanby" (1781), transcribed and annotated by James L. Lynch III.
Additional resources include:
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Eastern District, Henry County on page 131.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Henry County, pp. 85-86. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Indexed images of the Virginia Gazette (1736-1780) are available online through the Colonial Williamsburg website. In addition, Professor Tom Costa and The Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia have created a database of all runaway advertisements for slaves, indentured servants, transported convicts, and ship deserters listed in this source and other Virginia newspapers (1736-1803), see: The Geography of Slavery in Virginia. These newspapers are valuable resources for all regions of Virginia.
- Watts, Dorothy C. "Petitions of Residents of Bedford and Henry Counties, Virginia, in Favor of and Opposed to a New County (Franklin)," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 24, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1980):83-89; Vol. 24, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1980):192-199. Available at New England Ancestors ($).
- Sweeney, Alice J. "Bassett Historical Center," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 28, No. 4 (Aug. 2002):1-3. Available at FHL; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
-  Specific Taxes, 1780, Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 1, No. 3 (Jan. 1894). Available at JSTOR ($).
-  Fothergill, Augusta B. and John Mark Naugle. Virginia Tax Payers, 1782-87, Other Than Those Published by the United States Census Bureau. 1940; reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1978. Available at FHL. [1782 personal property tax list of Henry County.]
- [1782-1814] Heinegg, Paul. "Henry County Personal Property Tax List, 1782-1814," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
-  Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. Available at FHL. [The source of this publication is the 1787 personal property tax list. Henry County is included in Vol. 1.]
- [1786, 1790] Clay, Robert Y. "Some Delinquent Taxpayers 1787-1790," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 20, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1976):199-208. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($). [These records identify migrants who left the county and often their intended destinations. Henry County's 1786 and 1790 Delinquent List appear on pp. 128-129.]
- [1790, 1800] Indexed images of the 1790 and 1800 Personal Property Tax Lists of Henry County, Virginia are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Tax List, 1800, Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 32, No. 1 (Jan. 1988); Vol. 32, No. 2 (Apr. 1988). Available at FHL.
-  Schreiner-Yates, Netti. A Supplement to the 1810 Census of Virginia: Tax Lists of the Counties for which the Census is Missing. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1971. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1810 personal property tax list. Henry County is included because the 1810 Census for that county has been destroyed.]
-  Tax List, 1810, Southwest Virginian, Vol. 6, No. 28 (Mar. 1983).
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Henry County is included in Vol. 2.]
-  Lands Returned Delinquent, List, 1820, Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 44, No. 1 (Feb. 2006). Available at FHL.
- Dodd, Virginia Anderton. Henry County, Virginia, Marriage Bonds, 1778-1849. Richmond, VA, USA: Clearfield Co., 1953. 1976 reprint available at FHL; digital versions at Ancestry ($) and World Vital Records ($).
Societies and Libraries
- Bassett Historical Center, Bassett, Virginia. Website includes descriptions of collections. Excellent resource for family history research in Henry, Patrick, Floyd, Franklin and Pittsylvania counties in Virginia, the city of Martinsville, Virginia, and Rockingham, Stokes and Surry counties in North Carolina.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Sweeney, Alice J. "Bassett Historical Center," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 28, No. 4 (Aug. 2002):1-3, available online at: http://www.vgs.org/vgsn2804.pdf.
- Sweeney, Alice J. "Bassett Historical Center," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 28, No. 4 (Aug. 2002):1-3, available online at: http://www.vgs.org/vgsn2804.pdf.