Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Henderson County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records. Located in the Western Coal Fields region.
|Henderson County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1798|
- 1 Henderson County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Henderson County Kentucky History
- 3 Henderson County Kentucky Places/Localities
- 4 Henderson County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American Research
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 5 Henderson County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Henderson County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Henderson County Kentucky Genealogy References
Henderson County Kentucky Courthouse
Henderson County Kentucky History
Henderson County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Bluff City||Finley Addition||Rankin||Tunnel Hill|
- Posey County, Indiana
- Vanderburgh County, Indiana
- Warrick County, Indiana
Henderson County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Henderson Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Henderson County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- TheFamily History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Henderson County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Henderson County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Moody, Shirley C. Kith and Kin of Henderson County, Kentucky and Their Descendants. 6 vols. Evansville, Ind.: S. Moody, 1991. FHL Film 1597933 Items 1-6
- [Baker] Chapman, Peggy Brown. Bakers of Logan, Christian, Muhlenberg, Livingston, Henderson, Hopkins, Caldwell, Union, Todd, Trigg, Crittenden, Lyon, McLean and Webster Counties & Jackson Purchase, Kentucky. Lubbock, Texas: P.B. Chapman, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 B171cp
- [Bethell] Bethell, John Pinckney. Some Descendants of James Bethell, Who Came from England to Jamestown, Virginia in 1625 ... and of Union Bethell, 1826-1907, of Newburg, Indiana to Henderson County, Kentucky. Des Arc, Ark.: Bethell, 1975. FHL Film 928178 Item 13
- [Crowley] Crowley, Ariel L. Benjamin Harrison Crowley of Henderson, Kentucky, an Account of His Maternal Ancestry. Typescript. 1969. FHL Book 929.273 C886cr; Supplement: FHL Book 929.273 C886cr supp.
- [Hart] Smith, Zachary F. and Mary Rogers Clay. The Clay Family. Louisville, Ky.: John P. Morton and Company, 1899. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Jones] Jones, Otey Sherman. The History of the Jones Family of Henderson, Kentucky. St. Louis, Mo.: O.S. Jones, 1974. FHL Book 929.273 J71jos
- [Tippin] Tippin, James Jackson. English Tipping Ancestry of Sanford Lathadeus Tippin Family of Henderson Co., Kentucky (U.S.A.). Typescript. 1900 (?). FHL Fiche 6018262
- [Tippin] Tippin, James Jackson. Ancestry of Sanford Lathadeus Tippin Family of Henderson County, Kentucky. Shreveport, La.: J.J. Tippin, 1940. FHL Film 1405352
- ~ The Archives of Appalachia
- Starling, Edmund Lyne. History of Henderson County, Kentucky. Henderson, Ky.: n.p., 1887. Digital version at Kentuckiana Digital Library.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company L.
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1799-1946 - Will Books A to H (1799-1946) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1852-1859 - Henderson County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517481 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Henderson County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517482 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1876 - Henderson County Birth Index 1875-1876. Batch C517483 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1861 - Henderson County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch M517481 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Henderson County Birth Index 1875. Batch M517484 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Henderson County Birth Index 1876-1878. Batch M517485 at FamilySearch - free.
County Clerk has birth and death records 1911-1949
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Henderson County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Henderson County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Henderson County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Henderson County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Henderson County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Voice of Dorothy Murphy (b. 1927), life-long resident of Central City, Ky. (2011)
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.