Hemphill County, Texas Genealogy
Adopted by TXGenWeb Hemphill County
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1876--Hemphill County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District. County seat: Canadian 
1930 -- The US Supreme Court relocated the 100th meridian about 3700 feet to the east. This moved the eastern border of the Texas Panhandle. Hemphill County gained area that was once in Oklahoma.
Places / Localities
Ghost Towns & Former Communities
Clear Creek (Hogtown) | Dreyfoos | Gageby | Gem | Mendota | Midway | Zybach
Canadian | Cataline | Glazier
- Cowmen and Ladies: A History of Hemphill County, 1977 by Sallie B. Harris.
- Hemphill County History from The Handbook of Texas Online
- Canadian, Texas History from canadiantx.org.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- Canadian, Texas Chamber of Commerce and EDC website
- TEXAS GenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handbook of Texas Online: Hemphill County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hch12