Help:Keys to Success Using the Wiki
The “Keys to Success” in using the FamilySearch Research Wiki are based in part on some of the common aspects found in four different success stories. In addition, your success in using the Research Wiki to help with your genealogical research will be enhanced by your understanding of some of the best key features in the Wiki.
- Carlisle Indian School Records
- Finding Pennsylvania Ward Maps
- Using the Record Search records Wiki articles
- Using the Wiki with the Forums to get help
Keys to Success
Key One: Try it!
In every success story example, the Wiki was not the first choice to search for research help. But in every success story example, the user came away with the realization that the FamilySearch Research Wiki is a valuable tool and in many cases, the answers to research questions are already there.
Key Two: Use different ways to search and browse
- Keyword searches
- Navigational boxes
Key Three: Understanding some of the best features
- FamilySearch publications were added to the Wiki.
- FamilySearch Research Outlines were updated!
- The Community Center.
- Live community meetings.
- Clickable maps.
- Answers to common research questions.
- The opportunity to share what you know.
- No publication delays.
- Research tools.
- Articles that teach you how to locate records.
- Tons of images to help learn about records and places.
- New research topics and articles never seen before.
- Links to online databases and descriptions of how to use them.
- Share what you know and preserve your knowledge.
- Your own “user page” to user for various purposes.
- Collaboration through talk pages.
- Collaboration through internal e-mail functionality.
- Keep track of your contributions for credentialing purposes.
- Use the content as a venue to teach others how to help themselves
- Learn from a specific author in the Wiki by viewing their “user contributions”
- See a history of all the edits made for any article, including the ability to see exactly what the page previously looked like.
- Change your preferences.
- Be notified when new content articles are updated.
- Be notified when someone improves what you contributed.
- Manage your watchlist